Going to Russia iPhone as a gift?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christian 5G, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

So basically my question is I would like to bring the iphone to my uncle as a gift but they have some completely different system then here in a U.S. if somebody knows does unlocked will work there?

Thanks for all the replies

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The only advice I can give you is do NOT fall in to the trap of buying an "unlocked" Sprint iPhone.

Sprint only unlocks their phones for international use. Of course, your phone would be going international. But the problem is that Sprint requires you to be a customer and have a minimum of 90 days on account before they will unlock the phone for international use.

Lots of people are falling into this trap because unethical sellers are advertising Sprint iPhones as "unlocked." There's a reason most of the iPhones on eBay or craigslist are Sprint iPhones.

You might be best served with a Verizon iPhone which I understand come unlocked both for domestic and international use.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a Sprint customer.

3. Bear macrumors G3

If Russia has standard GSM support, then buying an Unlocked/Contract free phone directly from Apple will work.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Russians used to go ga-ga over blue jeans, I guess their standard improved. ;)

5. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

why not just see what they offer from apple russia and see if there's any cost savings and if it is the same type of phone.

http://www.apple.com/ru/buy/

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

IIRC, if you buy an iPhone in the U.S. and take it overseas and then have a problem you have to bring it back here for warranty service. This contrasts to the Mac line where warranty is worldwide.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

8. madKIR macrumors 6502

The Russian carriers use GSM.
    Buy an unlocked A1428 model.

9. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

It costs 400$ more on 16gb unlocked there