Going to San Francisco

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
3,760
212
Asheville, NC
I haven't had a vacation in three years. I've never really booked a big trip for myself before, and I've never been to the west coast. I've always wanted to go to California, so I said "f*** it" and just booked a trip to San Francisco. I'm leaving on 11/6 and staying for five days.

What should I / must I do while I'm there, Californians -- any suggestions?
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
Golden Gate Bridge! Check out Apple's Campus and the Company Store.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
DRIVE DOWN TO CUPERTINO!!!

get some dim sum!

there's a crappy CHEAP hotel called the Alpine Inn, in Daly City, about 100 yards from a Muni stop. I stayed there. $79/night, it was pretty good.

Ohh... take me, too!

and GO TO THE FED!! Eeee!
 

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
3,760
212
Asheville, NC
katie ta achoo said:
DRIVE DOWN TO CUPERTINO!!!

get some dim sum!

there's a crappy CHEAP hotel called the Alpine Inn, in Daly City, about 100 yards from a Muni stop. I stayed there. $79/night, it was pretty good.

Ohh... take me, too!

and GO TO THE FED!! Eeee!
My flight connects in Houston -- You can meet me there and I can stash you in a suitcase or something ;)
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,589
31
San Francisco, CA
I was just there a little while ago, I live in Sacramento, so I go there fairly often.
The metreon is very cool. It is an entire entertainment center owned by Sony. Across the street from the metreon is a Meriot Hotel, on the top floor, they have a small bar-type area with a great view (entire walls made of glass, if I knew how I'd post a picture).
As the for museum in Golden Gate Park, as of the time I was there, it was closed for "renovations." However, a small portion of the museum was temporarily relocated within walking distance of the metreon (how convenient)!
Pier 39 is a must. Lots of shops and cool places to eat...If you aren't on a strict budget, the Rain-Forest cafe, or Bubba Gumps are good places to eat.
(Wow, I wish I knew how to post pictures).
EDIT: Bubba Gumps & Rainforest Cafe aren't that expensive. -good food, and a lot of fun.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
MattG said:
My flight connects in Houston -- You can meet me there and I can stash you in a suitcase or something ;)
Oo.... felonious! Sounds like my kind of flight!

but alas
I don't fit in suit cases!

/food baby
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,589
31
San Francisco, CA
By the Way, if you don't mind Public Transportation, and are used to navigating routes, that is the way to go, driving a car can be a nightmare there. (PS - there is a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) widget that can help).
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
16,722
1,027
The museum that just reopened in Golden Gate Park in a new building is the de Young. Haven't been down there myself yet, but I hear it's amazing. This is not the same one EricNau refers to...that's the California Academy of Sciences. Was and will be located right next to the de Young, but currently housed in temporary space down by the Metreon.

Other stuff:
Alcatraz
Haight-Ashbury
Union Square if you like shopping...Apple flagship store at Stockton & Market
Take the ferry to Sausalito for an afternoon
Monterey is always fun...two hour drive south
 

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
3,760
212
Asheville, NC
WildCowboy said:
The museum that just reopened in Golden Gate Park in a new building is the de Young. Haven't been down there myself yet, but I hear it's amazing. This is not the same one EricNau refers to...that's the California Academy of Sciences. Was and will be located right next to the de Young, but currently housed in temporary space down by the Metreon.

Other stuff:
Alcatraz
Haight-Ashbury
Union Square if you like shopping...Apple flagship store at Stockton & Market
Take the ferry to Sausalito for an afternoon
Monterey is always fun...two hour drive south
NPR just did a story on the de Young. Sounded interesting; I might have to do that!
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
EricNau said:
Oops that was the wrong one..I meant to put ":p"...It's late.
They didn't show up? They showed up over here.
Gotcha. Yeah, for a whille they didn't who up, but now they do. Sorry about that.
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,589
31
San Francisco, CA
blaskillet4 said:
Gotcha. Yeah, for a whille they didn't who up, but now they do. Sorry about that.
OK, good. Sorry 'bout the wrong smiley.
As for the pictures, why I didn't know how to do it was because I hit the "Insert Image" button, and it asked for a url, but now I know.
Thanks Again! :)
(Think I got the right one in there this time ;) )
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
Coit Tower, Alcatraz, the submarine and WWII navy boat at Fisherman's Wharf, ferry to Sausalito.

Take the BART to Powell and walk through China Town, and Little Italy to Fisherman's Wharf. Take a street car when you're heading back.

Take a tour of the harbour, but not on the Red & Blue or Blue & Gold Fleet boats. Wait until the afternoon, go to Fisherman's Wharf and find one of the small fishing boats that have returned from their morning salmon fishing trips. A trip around to the GG bridge and around Alcatraz costs $10.

Rent a car and drive up the coast highway to Bodega Bay, then drive back inland through Sonoma.

Try to book a tour of the elephant seals at Ano Neuvo (books out fast though)

How about the Winchester Mystery House?

For more nerdy passtimes, try the Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose and the Computer History Museum in Mountain View.

Edit: By the way, I'm not a Californian, I just live here.
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
puckhead193 said:
how long of a drive is it to cupertino? I wouldnt mind a *few* apple things...
From where? San Francisco to Cupertino is about 40 miles. You can do it in 30 minutes on the 280 outside rush hour (whatever you do, avoid the 101)