Going to Sell Soon....how do I wipe HD and KEEP Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yanksrock100, Feb 12, 2012.

1. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Hey guys. I have a late 2008 Aluminum Macbook. Upgraded to 8gb of RAM, and of course, OS Lion.

Now Ive tired to look all over and cant find a real answer. Can I, and How do I, wipe my entire HD (after I back it up to an external) and keep Lion? I know I will get more money with lion, not Snow Leopard. Since I've already done it, I dont want the buy to spend another $29.

If anyone was wondering, Im going to be buying a 13 inch air. :apple:

And If anyone can tell me an tips on how to sell it, that would be great! (Im selling on eBay, so any ways to get more views bidders? Should I even have it as a bid, or buy it now? :confused:) Haha anything would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Yanksrock1000

2. simsaladimbamba

Lion will be tied to your Mac App Store (MAS) user account though.
    You could however boot from the Recovery Partition and then wipe the Mac OS X HDD and then do a reinstall and shut it off, when it comes to registering.
    OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
    Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

3. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Thanks!

4. NINGUY72084 macrumors newbie

5. CandyDane macrumors newbie

After I've erased the disk and gotten to the Welcome Wizard, I plan to quit by pressing the Command+Q and turning off my MBP. Then give it (and the OSX disc to the buyer.

Should I remove the OSX disc before I shut off the MPB or leave it in the computer?