Going to sleep and unable to wake up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by New2Guitar, Apr 10, 2011.

1. New2Guitar macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This is my first Mac and I've been an owner for about a month now.

This has happened a few times since I bought it in mid-March. More often than not when the MBP sleeps there is no issue to wake it up; however once in a while it will not wake up.

I'll close the laptop and it will go into a dormant (sleep mode). When I open the lid the screen remains black and will not energize. Is this a systematic of something I should be aware of, of this typical of MBP's?

I have to re-boot the system to get the screen to work.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B04
    SMC Version (system): 1.69f1
    Serial Number (system):
    Hardware UUID: 78FDC52D-
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

All comments welcome

Regards,
    Chuck

2. simsaladimbamba

3. amarcus macrumors 6502

Are you disconnecting any peripherals while/shortly after its gone to sleep?

4. tey112 macrumors member

MBP 13 2011 i7

I picked up a 13" i7 about 2 days after they released them. Mine started having sleep problems along the following:

If it went to sleep from inactivity with lid open, then I shut it, it would never, ever go to sleep. If I opened the computer, the screen would remain black. I could hold the power button down for about 5 secs, then a quick unnerving, loud click from the HD. Holding it down another second would kill the power for good. If I did not attempt to shut the computer down upon opening the lid, it would come back after about 10 min. Sometimes it would be fine, other times the screen would be completely screwy looking (Graphics), but the mouse would still move. No keyboard input worked.

I also had some other problems that I couldn't figure out how to reproduce. It would sometimes not wake after inactivity for no apparent reason. This was the more annoying one because it seemed to happen faster than the setting for inactive sleep.

So I took my upgraded RAM out (no SSD btw, so it isn't that hibernation/sleep issue), and tried the stock ram. Same problems. Format/reinstall. Same problems. I ran the "quick" hardware test. No problems found. I gave up an took it to the genius bar (with a photo of the crazy graphics) and reproduced the inactive sleep, close lid, open lid, black screen/HD click problem. The genius took it into the back and came out about 5 min later to tell me that the logic board had issues. I got a new one and no more problems at all.

I am somewhat curious if it was in fact a logic board problem or a manufacturing issue because:
    1) Genius said it was going to be wiped and sent back to the engineers to figure out why (understandable)
    2) overheard another genius talking about it.
    3) the serial numbers changed a bit more than I would have expected, is it possible they already are on revB?

So in other words, run a hardware test, reinstall, put back to stock hardware, and if you are still having issues, take it in to get serviced/replaced.

Good Luck!

5. New2Guitar thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow,

I wasn't expecting responses this quickly. Thanks for all the comments!

I do is hit the space bar and the MBP starts up; but it's on those infrequent occasions the MBP is non-responsive.

I also tried pushing the power button and holding for a second to get it to work and nothing happens.

All peripherals stay plugged into the MBP until it is powered off.

No hardware upgrades/changes have been made to this MBP. It's in the original configuration.

The annoying thing is I cannot replicate the problem. It's only happen four times but it tells me something is not right!

Chuck

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have the same problem on a 2009 13" MBP. Just started happening in the past few weeks. Doesn't happen very often, but I have to force restart and I can't replicate it.

7. iMackPro macrumors 6502

same here. i have a uMB and ill close the lid and then it wont show the login screen.. if i click a bunch of keys after about 20 seconds itll show my login screen with everything i just typed... it happens randomly and is very annoying!

8. abhic macrumors member

This happened to me as well a couple of times on my MBP 2.2GHz i7. Can't seem to replicate it as well. But am concerned about it.

9. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Did any of you sort out this?

I have just got a reconditioned 2.2Ghz 15" MBPro which I've installed 10.6.8 on. Everything works great except sleep:

Most of the time it sleeps/wakes OK. But some times it goes into deepsleep/hibernate by itself (after sleeping for some length of time) and will not then power up - unless I plug in the power cable - at which point it will then resume from the hibernation image.

I can't currently figure out what causes the system to occasionally enter deep sleep. The battery remaining is always >30% when it happens. Often >50%.

I wonder if a script that kept rewaking the computer every 30 mins (for a few seconds) would cure this?