Going to Switzerland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nahmeanz, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

Going to Switzerland for New Year's and I want to be able to use an iPhone 4. I'm considering either buying it there (CHF 899.00 including tax) or having my sister in Canada buy one and send it to me (CAD 779.00 + taxes and shipping). If I buy an iPhone 4 outside of the US, how does warranty work?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Are you in the US? Why not buy it where you live and swap the SIM card when you get to CH?

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; SonyEricssonX10i Build/2.0.A.0.504) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

iPhone's warranty is international. You will not have any problems servicing it in the US.

I believe that the unlocks are linked to the IMEI which will transfer over to the refurb replacement.

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; SonyEricssonX10i Build/2.0.A.0.504) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

The US iphones are locked to AT&T, while Canadian and Swiss iPhones are factory unlocked. Perhaps OP doesn't want to mess with jailbreaking and unlocking.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I suppose, though $810 sounds awfully expensive...

6. Nahmeanz thread starter macrumors regular

They go for about $1100 on eBay. Also, I plan to go to Asia in early 2011, so with all the international traveling, a factory unlocked phone would be great.

I've read that on the forums but haven't been able to find anything from Apple that says that. I'm not doubting you but can you show me where Apple states this? I would feel more comfortable dropping $800-$900 on a phone with warranty.

7. Ale72 macrumors newbie

Not 100% sure about that.
    I broke the rear shell of my 3G phone (bought in Europe) while I was in the US, I brought it to the apple store to have it replaced (willing to pay for it) but I was told that they could not repair it since it was not an AT&T iphone.
    Just do not know if that was the standard approach.
    Once back in Europe I simply bought the iPhone4 :)