Going to the apple store tmrw regarding cracks ..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by *kooky, Nov 26, 2009.

1. *kooky macrumors newbie

I got my iphone 3GS at the end of september from the apple store. Just recently i've noticed cracks on top, bottom and left hand side where the buttons are.
    My iphone is fine, but the cracks are beginning to collect up a little dust/ pocket lint.
    What im wondering is,
    - it is jailbroken, so how do i restore it completely ?
    - what do I tell the genius at the apple store :S and what kinda questions will they ask ?
    - I live in Canada .. so do you think they'll replace it :T
    - Im only 16 btw, do i need a parent there to swap it out with me ?
    - do i need a reciept ?

kooky

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Back it up in iTunes then restore as a new iPhone.
    When you take it in just show them the cracks, they usually don't ask many questions other than general things like when did you first notice them etc.

Since your phone is so new I don't see any problems with you getting a replacement. They probably wont even look on the phone itself so it could still be jailbroken. I wouldn't take that chance though.

You will probably have to go in with who ever purchased the iPhone or who ever's name is on the contract. Otherwise they could think you stole it or something.

Let us know how you get on.

3. *kooky thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ! ^
    i made an appointment for tmrw,
    i hope they'll replace it :(:S

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They will replace it. They've replaced others for far less.

5. *kooky thread starter macrumors newbie

" cosmetic "

i came in on saturday and they replaced it for me but the genius said he'd do it this time, but next time they won't do it again D:
    he said it was a " cosmetic " problem, and wasnt that big of a deal ..
    thanks guys ^ :)

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Glad they replaced it but that is horse **** if you ask me.
    It's hardly 'cosmetic' if the phone is literally falling apart and the internal workings of the phone could be exposed to the elements in such a way to cause damage.

You paid how ever much for a phone and do not expect it to fall apart after a few months. For them to say this is simply unacceptable. In a way I hope it cracks again so you can kick up a fuss getting a new one :D