Going to the apple store to replace a HD VS doing it myself.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tacos!, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Tacos! macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I got my 2.2GhZ MBP in late june/early july, and my superdrive is acting up, it wont burn DVD's/CD's. I plan on bringing my laptop to the Apple Store and requesting them to replace the Superdrive. Now, since I am there, I was going to ask them if they can also replace my hd with a bigger 7200RPM drive (I was going to order a hitatchi from newegg).

So, do you know if they offer that service? If so does anyone know how costly it is?

Also, do you think they will be able to replace my superdrive?

2. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

Apple will not replace the HD for you, you will need to take it to an authorized apple repair location. They will only replace your HD under applecare if it is faulty, and at that they will replace it for the same one. Prices will vary.

3. Tacos! thread starter macrumors member

If I replace it myself, does that void the warranty?

4. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

not unless your an authorized repair technician...:rolleyes:

5. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

Yes it does for the MBP because it is not considered a DIY item such as replacing ram. In the MB you can change the HD yourself. The only way to get it changed would be through a certified repair location.

I ran into the same issue but decided not to replace the HD since if I run into any problems the new HD would not be covered under applecare anyways.