Going to the Apple Store Tomorrow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrtekkid, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mrtekkid macrumors regular

I am making a run back into the Apple store tomorrow to get my MBP looked at. This time, I have a few dead pixels on the screen (more than like 7 grey to blackish in color.)

Also I am having them look at my IR receiver which no longer works as well. Sometimes depending on where my left hand rests, Hardware Growler tells me my IR receiver is disconnected. Then it actually will not work.

Then when I was having issues with a DVD not burning, I was talking to the support guy on the phone and he wanted me to rest the PRAM and I couldn't get it to go after 6 tries. He said that this worried him.

All this is boxed up with a logic board that they replaced a few months ago. I am still under warranty for a year and a half, so I am wondering what to expect when I go in tomorrow.

I am starting to think I have a lemon and would like a replacement since issues pop up apart from each other every few months. Being a Digital Media major, colors and screen are very important to me, and a lot of my work is done and kept on this computer. I need a reliable unit. With some of the issues this thing has had, I would not call this reliable at all.

Is this unit replaceable for a new one under the warranty or will they just replace the screen? I have two tech people tell me about their lemon rule and tell me that I would probably be eligible for a new device.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple really hate replacing laptops unless it literally explodes, you could make a complaint about their customer service, general machine manurfacturing quality, and quality of repairs, then they may give you a new one, my friend did that for his macbook pro that broke about 8 times and eventually after complaining that he was without it so much it was causing him financial loss they gave him a new one

3. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Ehh... I did some research and realized how crappy those new Macbook Pros really are.... I just got ram for this puppy... which would not work for this model... so I would have to sell that and get newer ram to upgrade back to 4 GB.... then I would have to get two adaptors... one to DOWNGRADE to firewire 400 and another one to convert Mini DisplayPort to VGA adaptor....

Wow... and I know they don't have older MBP models that are new... unfortunetly... which really sucks... cause I don't feel like dropping $100 on a new computer and then pimp it out with all those unnecessary adaptors...

I'm officially calling those newer models Vista.... because... honestly... having to get a crap load of stuff ... to just get the computer to work is nuts...and sad

I want same day repair for this unit... cause this is starting to become nuts...

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I find this post ironic. You have had numerous problems with the previous Pro, but the new one is crap because you have to pay $40 for adaptors? OK :rolleyes:

I do agree they should of been included, but it is Apple we are talking about.

5. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Well... it is possible for it to be a lemon.... in fact it probably is... but when it works... its fantastic.... but ill be pissed cause ill have to see the ram i just got and sell it then pay to upgrade it and then get all those adaptors.... it just seems like a big hassle... then if they just replaced everything wrong with this one... plus i have heard very negative things about the glass screens... im a matte person... and glare would drive me nuts...

i know the economy is on the downturn... but i didnt expect apple to cut quality in the process

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Actually the quality of the notebook itself is better made. We can argue about what they left out or put in it, but it is more sturdy than the previous version.

They did mess up by not offering matte in it though. Personally I like the glass glossy screen and it looks awesome to me. I do understand how some Pro's in whatever field they are in and other might feel differently. Like I said there should of been an option for people on the screen (matte or gloss).

Overall I think they did a good job.

7. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more bummed at the fact that I just got this ram... upgraded from 2 - 4 and then I noticed a few dead pixels...... i'm not ready to go back down to 2 gig again... i noticed a big increase in performance.. and i don't want to give that up... cause the new ram is ddr3 and my old ram is ddr2... im guessing it wouldnt fit ...

yes the design is nice... ill give them that... i like that... but i just put money into this thing... and blowing that money is a big disappointment...

i doubt theyll offer me a new system tomorrow anyhow... i have heard many sources now saying they are very resistant to giving out new units... but in the same breath been told by reps that i have a very good argument for a new one...

so its bitter sweet... new computer.... but everything i bought for it... my $900 firewire 400 videocamera needs the adaptor... id need to spend money on that ram... and then all the ports on the left hand side... seriously messes up my desk setup... since now i gotta slide everything over to make room on the other side of the desk for the external hard drives and the usb hub that resides on the right side right now

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I hope they fix the problems you are having and rectify it to your satisfaction. With as many problems as you have had they should do something extra for you. I have heard people who haven't been through nearly as much BS as you get free stuff or a replacement. Good luck.

9. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... I know I prolly came off a little annoyed... but I am sure you understand how frustrated I am with this whole situation. I plan to play for the new system and see what happens... with the issues that I have had too.. I'm hoping I have a case... I'm just not thrilled with having to sell ram... which was a Christmas gift... on ebay... to go ahead and buy new ram for the new system.... I gotta back everything up tonight and see how everything looks on the left hand side of my desk and see how much the inconveniences my mouse pad and whatnot...

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

it is possible to get the older generation (yours) for new. Check the 17" in the apple online store, its still the old one (well for 12 hours more until after macworld!) and also check the clearance stores :)

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Be nice, but firm. Your case is compelling and they should do whatever it takes (within reason of course) to make you happy.

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'm using the new late 2008 MBP that you think is crap and take offense to your rant. Have you used one or even gone into an Apple Store to check one out? Yes, you have a lemon and Apple will most likely replace it with a new one. I hope that you take it and sell it for just enough to buy a clearance model. Perhaps then you will at least appreciate the replacement that paid for your previous generation computer. All this complaining because you don't want to lose a couple dollars on your memory upgrade...whatever. BTW, my machine is a replacement for an old Powerbook and I didn't even think about the memory I added because I received a NEW COMPUTER.:rolleyes:

13. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Well in retrospect... it's getting a new MBP for $100 to upgrade the memory on the new model... ehh... maybe that is the best scenario... I can't be mad at them... i'm just annoyed it all went downhill after i got stuff for this one...

what's the thought on the gloss screen?? like dislike? indoor vs outdoor performance?