Going to the genius bar? iPhone Warranty??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daryliow, Jun 15, 2009.

1. daryliow macrumors regular

Hi

I have made an appointment to see a genuis at my local apple store because my black 16gb iphone has a small crack in the casing above the camera. I have a couple of questions?

a) will they repalce the phone because of this small crack in the case?
    b) if they do replace it can I ask for a white version, just because it would make a nice change?

Thanks alot.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

1) depends on the genius.
    2) nope. not likely.

3. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Any one else have experience of this?

4. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

They will replace the whole phone if their is cracks in the plastic. This is also depending on if the phone looks like it has been dropped. They will not give you a different color. The phone that replaces your phone has to match your type of phone in the computer.

5. cap'njack macrumors member

Our local Apple Store (Bluewater UK) changed mine over for me with cracks in the housing...this was about 2 months ago. It really depends on weather they determine that the crack was caused by dropping or a manufacturing fault.

They don't allow you to change for another colour...they turned down the two people next to me who wanted to swap for white one's :)

6. winstano macrumors regular

Yep, they just swap the phone out for you. In fact, mine's just been swapped out this morning! (The plastic at the top right had started to come away from the metal bezel)... It's a simple enough process, and covered by warranty. Just make sure you back it up first!

They won't replace it with a white one as it has to be like-for-like. I tried talking them into it before :p

7. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I got my Black replaced with white. Though this was right near launch and they'd run out of black. Glad I did it now, since I love the white :)

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

As already stated it depends on the genius.

As far as the color goes they will swap colors ONLY if they are out of the color you currently have. Good luck mate.

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

They should swap it. I'm on, I think, my fourth or fifth phone because of cracking. New one has cracking too, but I haven't got around to swapping it. (I should, because the home button has never worked well.)

Each swap has been quick and painless.