:::Going to the Genius Bar tonight:::

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BrettFarve04, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

I finally booked an appointment at my apple store to get my macbook pro looked at. I do have quiet a bit of case history with my computer an I'm still having issues. Computer not charging correctly, having to restore my iTunes/iPhoto library every week, computer not shutting down just to name a few. The hard part is trying to "reproduce" the problem for the genius.

Would I be out of line to ask for a replacement?? I still have another 1.5 years left on my applecare and I just want to be able to have a machine that works.

Any ideas??

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Generally, they won't replace a computer unless it has been in for service at least three times for the same issue.

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

Make sure you've downloaded and installed all updates because that's probably the first thing they're going to ask you, followed by asking if you've reinstalled OS X. I doubt they'd replace it for software / firmware related issues, like the poster above mentioned. Is this a new MB Pro or older model? When you say battery isn't charging correctly, do you mean the charge seems inaccurate or it's just not charging at all? It could be a calibration issue, or they may reset your PMU as well.

Have you tried reinstalling OS X completely?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I normally have no problems arranging an appointment for my all-too-frequent Genius visits using just the standard service.

However I usually take a necessary visit to the Genius - if the computer is still working - as a prod to reinstall the Mac and to attempt to reproduce the issue with the reinstall.

In fact, so relatively often I have had to do this that what I do now is to have a default install (with my main apps, but not documents) separately Superduper'd / Time Machine'd away when I first start prepping any new Mac, so that I can revert back to that, test I can reproduce the issue and hand it in to a Genius for repair / attention.

5. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Which store in the Milwaukee area? Mayfair or the new Bayshore one?

I have to schedule the latter for a noisy fan issue. Anybody have experience with Bayshore-folk?

6. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

Well last time I went in to the applestore was because somehow someway all my permissions and privileges were all messed up. They did a restore which sucked because the genius put the wrong version of OS X on my machine..which resulted in another trip back there. Ahhhhh my head hurts too bad.