Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Ok, I hadn't been to the gym in a few months but I'm on vacation, getting bored, and I need to get back. I have a couple of questions for y'all...

• I used to do the elliptical for 30 minutes to close my exercise ring. If I go in and do weights, how would I close my ring? Would that be Functional Strength Training?
  • What's the best way to add music? I'm going to probably use AirPods while doing weights and want to listen to music. I'll leave my iPhone in the cubbies. Hopefully it can just stream the station I normally listen to. I've tried that while mowing the grass and it doesn't come through good.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I use Spotify and download content to my phone. Just ensure you disconnect the BT before you kick off the download so it comes in over wifi instead of BT.

Reactions: davidg4781

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I copy music directly onto my Watch and connect my AirPods to it. If the gym has wifi you can stream that way, too.

d3vp0ll

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
NY
For strength training you have two options with the default workout app: functional strength and traditional strength training. If you are using weights I recommend traditional.

If you want something more detailed with logging sets, reps and weight, I recommend using apps like Strong or Hevy

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just wanted to update this...

I haven't found an app for weights (Been a little busy, haven't been able to go to the gym much) but I have been doing weights then elliptical so I can close my ring that way.

As for music, Apple Watch has been working great inside the gym. I'm assuming it's connected to their wifi. I'll play 90s Workout Playlist on Apple Music although it's getting a little old playing the same stuff all the time.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
Just wanted to update this...

I haven't found an app for weights (Been a little busy, haven't been able to go to the gym much) but I have been doing weights then elliptical so I can close my ring that way.

As for music, Apple Watch has been working great inside the gym. I'm assuming it's connected to their wifi. I'll play 90s Workout Playlist on Apple Music although it's getting a little old playing the same stuff all the time.
Music 1) Create a playlist on iPhone via Apple Music , 2) open up the Apple Watch app on the iPhone , select music and add music ( select playlist that you created), 3) your Apple Watch will sync the music you selected on the iPhone via Apple Watch app, 4) you can now workout and play the music ….. enjoy your workout sessions 🕺

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.