Going to the matte black after having jet black

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone82, Oct 7, 2016.

1. iPhone82 macrumors member

iPhone82

I preodered the iPhone 7 Jet Black, I got it on the 16th but honestly I'm not feeling the color. The fingerprints are just too much. Even in a clear case it looks like crap. Its a nice color don't get me wrong but I can't really deal with the smudges. I ordered the matte black instead, won't be getting it till next week. Anyone else decided to swap over to the matte black?

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Hehe.

I convinced a friend who works at an Apple Store to switch from a 7JB to a 7plus MB.

Secretly I really liked the look of the JB. ;)

3. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

How does it get fingerprints in a case? If the case is showing fingerprints, get a different case.

4. iPhone82 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone82

I thought i'd like it too but honestly not what I expected.... The matte black looks perfect now that i've seen it in person but that's just me

5. Danjrel macrumors regular

That's a riveting tale old chap

But good points to be made

6. iPhone82 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone82

Its a clear spigen case, I didn't want a case to cover it up so i wanted something clear as well. I'd have to get something solid

7. ag29 macrumors 6502

8. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Which one?

9. Danjrel macrumors regular

10. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Yes it is an excellent case and like you say it doesn't show fingerprints. Supposedly can withstand a 10 foot drop.

11. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Have to agree I preordered jet black 128 plus went to Verizon and compared both I'm thinking the matt black looks better

12. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I have an OtterBox Statement now and like it. It shows the color fine. The Spigen case did seem to show prints more than expected.

Shiny things make you realize just how disgusting our environment is. Think about it. You can't stand seeing the fingerprints from yourself. These prints are still on everything you own. Now think of everything you touch in public.

13. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Lol! It is just the oils off of your skin.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

15. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Sure. On YOUR fingers.

16. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

Trying to go from MB plus to JB plus, but the online order wait times are ludicrous, and the store stock is nonexistent.

Doesn't look like it is going to happen for me. :(

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I personally like the Matte Black better. It looks more sleek and stealth like. Good choice.

18. madgalaxy macrumors member

For me it is about grip. They both look great, but the JB has much better grip than matte. The is null if you use a case, which I do not.

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

i cancelled my jet black pre order and got the matte black. don't regret it at all

20. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I got my Jet Black first with my Matte Black arriving this week, I ordered both as I kept changing my mind. I've really been back and forth but I've finally settled on keeping the Jet Black, it's something different, has much better grip and looks really nice. The micro scratches are only visible if you look for them under the right lighting, and I don't find mine get very fingerprinty, maybe I just keep my hands clean. Whenever I turn it around to look at the back it always looks nice and shiny to me.
    I'm going to return my matte black to the Apple Store unopened, hopefully that way it will actually go to someone waiting for one rather than having to go back to be refurbished or whatever they do with opened returns.

21. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I'm in the same indecisive boat... have a JB here since friday, but I wanna send it back to get a plus. I was thinking I want it in MB, but the JB just feels so good in my hand, compared to my 6s. The MB feels just like a 6s, doesnt it? I think the matte aluminum has a cold and unpleasant feel to it compared to the smooth jb finish... for me it's all about that feel, rather than the actual look of the color, as I like both.

22. tbuzleski macrumors newbie

On a whim I found a jet black at the Apple Store and bought it. I love the color and it's was more elegant than matte black (although I would be perfectly happy with a matte black phone). I don't even care that it smudges. Just wipe it off on my jeans or khakis and it's good to go! I haven't felt this excited about a phone since I bought my first Moto droid years ago!

23. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Bottom line is that the JB finish is the nicest looking iPhone in years, it's up there with the design of the 4 in my opinion. The other thing is that because the 7 is so similar to the previous 6 and 6S it's nice to have a finish thats so different to anything before.

I have mine in the official leather case so fingerprints and scratches aren't an issue and I can take it out and admire it every now and then.

24. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I would have preferred a JB plus, but didn't want to wait until mid-November for it so I bought a MB one. I have a couple of days left before my 14 day window ends but can't find a JB anywhere. So I figure I will use this for a year, and hopefully get a JB next year.