Going to the States, wanting a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twaize, May 11, 2008.

1. Twaize macrumors member

I am going to the states on my way home from South America (a little sidetrip), and I wanted to buy a MBP in Boston. However, the update might come out shortly after, and back in Denmark the price is almost double of that in the states.
    I was just wondering how big the Montevina speed bump is; I'm pretty sure it isn't worth double price, but just how big is the speedbump going to feel? I know how big the new ghz values are, and an increased FSB, but if I wanted to game (on XP, yes), would it really be that noticeable?

And as a sidenote, how big is the difference in batterylife between a macbook pro and a standard macbook?

Thank you

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Save on the money ;) Then you wont have to beat yerself up so much on spending huge money on old technology hehe

3. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Are you kidding!?

You should buy two! Hide one in your luggage and smuggle it! Even with Denmark's huge VAT tax, the dollar exchange rate is making it easy to but cheap stuff in the US...

It won't be long until we start to feel the pain of the devalued dollar when it comes to technology. We'd better get used to it.

4. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

My friend flew to USA so I ordered a MBP because of the weak dollar and the fact that its twice as expensive here or even more...He is arriving back here tomorrow :eek::D:D

5. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

As much as I love your answers, could anyone please answer my original questions?

Thank you

6. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Not that big, plus it won't be updated untill august or september, earliest. By the way, i am going to the US in 3 days,(have to update my sig) and i am getting my macbook pro there. Just a tip, take it out of the box, and but it in your hand luggage, so they don't think it is new, so they won't charge you.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As far as a processor change and faster FSB go it would not make much of a difference in gaming. The most important factor, given how fast the current MB Pro is, would be a new GPU say if Apple uses a mobile Geforce 9600GT in the next revision. Once you have a good CPU and plenty of RAM the Video card simply makes the biggest dent in game performance, except for the rare game that is CPU intensive. For the most part games do not take full advantage of a CPU.

Even if there was an update if you got a Macbook Pro here when the next revision is released you could sell your near new MB and buy the newest model in Denmark. Given the much lower price here you would probably spend less money in total than if you just waited and bought a new one in Denmark.

8. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is my big concern, if apple updates the gpu. Steve Jobs is going on the stage on the 9th of june, and by that time, I will still be in the states, so at the least I could wait around for that. But selling American laptops in Denmark is hard, we have 3 additional letters in our alphabet, and most people don't just want to blindtype, as I imagined I would do.