Going To The UK Need Power Supply Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Dec 19, 2013.

  1. nim6us macrumors member


    Nov 20, 2012
    So I'm moving to the UK and I need to know what I to do about my power supply for my MBP. Do I need a whole new power supply, or can I just slide out that US plug module and slide in a UK plug module. If so where is a reliable place I can get a genuine Apple part. I don't want to get some knock off that may damage my MBP. Need some help, thanks guys!
  2. Laco, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

    Laco macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2008
    I live half the year in the UK and half in North America. You do not need a different power supply you just need a simple plastic adapter which you can buy in the US for a few dollars

    I would buy something like this:


    I would recommend this because it is one piece per country. I have bought adapters that are multiple systems in one adapter but I usually find that they are not as good because they have several parts which need to be switched so there is the potential of them braking.

    For example, this is the kind of thing that I am talking about:

  3. nim6us thread starter macrumors member


    Nov 20, 2012
    Just to follow up, yeah that worked. All I needed was a simple adapter that let me go from US to UK. What I learned is that you just need to check the voltage. If it says just 120v for the input DO NOT plug it in with an adapter. You need to get this big step down adapter, that steps the voltage coming out of the wall down from 220v to 120v. However if you look at what your plugging in and it says something like 120v-220v then all you need is an adapter plug.

    Either way, thanks for the help, just wanted to give a little back, hope someone else finds this helpful.

Share This Page