Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I was all set to get a new Mac Pro to go with my 30" Cinemas, but then decided to try a maxed out iMac with a couple extra thunderbolts. It all comes tomorrow so I will try it for a week and see how I like it. I guess if I miss the extra inches in the screens, I'll just return them and order a Mac Pro.

What does everyone think the verdict will be?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
What's the usage model here? What apps and main function?

I was also set to buy a new Mac Pro but decided to be a bit more economical. The 3.5GHz i7 iMac is quite fast.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I was all set to get a new Mac Pro to go with my 30" Cinemas, but then decided to try a maxed out iMac with a couple extra thunderbolts. It all comes tomorrow so I will try it for a week and see how I like it. I guess if I miss the extra inches in the screens, I'll just return them and order a Mac Pro.

What does everyone think the verdict will be?

You'll be happy with it. I have a 3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 4GB GTX780M.

It's very much comparable to a Mac Pro and does a superb job handling videos.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You'll be happy with it. I have a 3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 4GB GTX780M.

It's very much comparable to a Mac Pro and does a superb job handling videos.

I've got the exact same machine. In everything but OpenCL and SSD sequential read speed it beats the new 4-core Mac Pro.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
If you not in a hurry, wait for WWDC, Apple must launch the iMac Pro, plus the Thunderbolt Display 2,both 4k 27" and in Black, the new iMac Pro supposed to have Xeon Quad-core or high end i7-4770k plus dual Gpu (either radeon or firepro) only SSD and starting price well over 3000$

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you not in a hurry, wait for WWDC, Apple must launch the iMac Pro, plus the Thunderbolt Display 2,both 4k 27" and in Black, the new iMac Pro supposed to have Xeon Quad-core or high end i7-4770k plus dual Gpu (either radeon or firepro) only SSD and starting price well over 3000$
I think you need to wake up. That's a pipe dream and I'm pretty sure I know what was in the pipe that you smoked.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Well got it up and running with the 2 Thunderbolts...the 1TB SSD does scream I must say, and it is a lot cooler in my office. The thunderbolts do for sure exhibit much more glare than the new iMac. I'm going to give it a fair shot for the week.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Held out for a nMP for a long time (still on my MP 1,1) but was just thinking about pulling the trigger on the 2013 iMac top of the line. Any word on the successor to the graphics cards?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I think you need to wake up. That's a pipe dream and I'm pretty sure I know what was in the pipe that you smoked.

+1

just tired of people that want a new model every month.

----------

Well got it up and running with the 2 Thunderbolts...the 1TB SSD does scream I must say, and it is a lot cooler in my office. The thunderbolts do for sure exhibit much more glare than the new iMac. I'm going to give it a fair shot for the week.

I don't know why they still don't offer displays with laminated screen other than the iMac. I'm sure you will enjoy this setup!

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
+1

just tired of people that want a new model every month.

----------

I don't know why they still don't offer displays with laminated screen other than the iMac. I'm sure you will enjoy this setup!

Million dollar question

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
The imac and thunderbolt screens totally pale in comparison to the 30s. I think i could live with it if the thunderbolts at least were made like the imac screens and the same height. Theyll prob end up going back this week. Apple needs more refurbs anyway right?

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
The imac and thunderbolt screens totally pale in comparison to the 30s. I think i could live with it if the thunderbolts at least were made like the imac screens and the same height. Theyll prob end up going back this week. Apple needs more refurbs anyway right?

well that didn't take long!

not sure what your work-flow is, but as the days tick by i am having a harder and harder time faulting the *computing power* of the late 2013 iMac i7. for most tasks (not constant video production) it is pretty powerful. still photography, audio and virtual machines are big for me.

now, as far as displays go that is another matter.

is the TBD similar to the LED ACD?

the 27" iMac screen isn't so bad, i find, but i haven't used a TBD. what is so much worse about it?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
well that didn't take long!

not sure what your work-flow is, but as the days tick by i am having a harder and harder time faulting the *computing power* of the late 2013 iMac i7. for most tasks (not constant video production) it is pretty powerful. still photography, audio and virtual machines are big for me.

now, as far as displays go that is another matter.

is the TBD similar to the LED ACD?

the 27" iMac screen isn't so bad, i find, but i haven't used a TBD. what is so much worse about it?

It's all about the increased glare (huge), and the fact that they don't align with the iMac (petty I know), but they aren't exactly cheap. It's actually no fault to the iMac at all.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Which setup looks better? Also noting the iMac setup would need to take down the 30" on the wall as well. And yes, I know the iSight ages the old setup. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Which setup looks better? Also noting the iMac setup would need to take down the 30" on the wall as well. And yes, I know the iSight ages the old setup. :)

Looks better for what? Do you actually use all 4 30" displays or do you just like having it to show off? I'm not faulting you for it - I've bought plenty of hardware that I didn't really need...

Otherwise, only you can validate what you do with them and which setup is better. If you need 4 displays, then you need 4 displays and no matter how good the iMac is, it won't do what you need.

So you tell us - which tool is better? 4x 30" on a slower CPU or 3x 27" on a faster CPU...

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I've got the exact same machine. In everything but OpenCL and SSD sequential read speed it beats the new 4-core Mac Pro.

I think this is the issue a lot of users are going to see in the short term.

Until pro apps are written to take advantage of OpenCL, which it doesn't seem like many do at the moment, I don't think the nMP is going to offer a huge advantage over the iMac.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
What do you all think of this setup until the new thunderbolts come out? Or do I just take back the iMac and get a nMP and use all 4 30"s?

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 109

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Come to the conclusion...the iMac is going back and going to order a 6 Core Mac Pro. Then I have what I want and it's faster anyway. Plus I can always upgrade to new displays once new Thunderbolts come out. I'll just have to wait a couple of months. No biggie.

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
What do you all think of this setup until the new thunderbolts come out? Or do I just take back the iMac and get a nMP and use all 4 30"s?

are you just asking us what looks better in a photo?

honestly, how could we give you meaningful opinions if you don't even tell us how you use this.

i'm thinking that a person who needs 4x30" displays generally knows why they need them. if they have to ask, it's probably just for show.

at this point -- unless you give us further information -- i have to put you into the latter category.

nothing wrong with that, but it seems unlikely that you need four 30" displays and that there 27" displays will not be fine.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
are you just asking us what looks better in a photo?

honestly, how could we give you meaningful opinions if you don't even tell us how you use this.

i'm thinking that a person who needs 4x30" displays generally knows why they need them. if they have to ask, it's probably just for show.

at this point -- unless you give us further information -- i have to put you into the latter category.

nothing wrong with that, but it seems unlikely that you need four 30" displays and that there 27" displays will not be fine.

this stopped being about 'need' a long time ago....and is that a MS Mouse on the desk? :eek:

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
this stopped being about 'need' a long time ago....and is that a MS Mouse on the desk? :eek:

Nope, Logitech...I hate wireless mice. I like more precision.

----------

From the pictures at least, this (iMac + 2 30" displays) actually looks better than the iMac with the 2 Thunderbolt displays.

Bear, that's what I thought, with a ton less glare.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
iMac and thunderbolts are returned. Someone will hopefully get a 1tb ssd surprise. :)

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Come to the conclusion...the iMac is going back and going to order a 6 Core Mac Pro. Then I have what I want and it's faster anyway. Plus I can always upgrade to new displays once new Thunderbolts come out. I'll just have to wait a couple of months. No biggie.

Could you explain more how you came to this conclusion?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
No fault of the iMac...just that the thunderbolts are horrible in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.