Going to Vienna... stuff to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theman, Aug 25, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

Well, I am going to a meeting in Wien in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to find some cool stuff to do. Never been there before, so I'm really excited. Does anybody live there that knows of any cool places to go, good restaurants, etc? There's got to be some Austrians who like Macs right? Or, has anybody just visited and has a recommendation for me?

Thanks!

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I went there for a couple of days as part of a tour of Prague, Heidelberg, and Vienna. A lot of museums in my experience, I was too tired to go into any of them. Theres a lot of cool architecture and buildings to photograph if you like photography.
    I would recommend going to one of the Palaces in the outskirts of Vienna. I went to Schonbrun and it was amazing.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Prater

Spanish Riding School

Votivkirche

Stefansdom

Opera Museum

National Nature Museum

Hitler Cafe !

4. noaccess macrumors 6502

Oooo, OK.
    As steamboat26 said, don't miss Schoenbrunn.
    Speaking of outskirts, Grinzing is pretty cute, a touristy historic village full of local taverns that serve food, wine and whatnot. Not sure if it qualifies as 'cool', but it's definitely cute :).

And... oh, you could try the revolving restaurant at the top of the Danube Tower (Donauturm). Eat and get a 360 degree view of the city, so that might be worth looking into. It's 900 feet above the ground, btw.

When it comes to shopping, there's always the Millennium Shopping Center and Mariahilfer Strasse.

And... if you were ever to go to Vienna around Xmas, the city hall (Rathaus) is definitely worth visiting. That's all I'm going to say about this :p

And... I didn't visit the museums either because I was tired by the time the tour I was taking part in got to that point. So... sorry I can't give much info on that :eek:

5. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Just came back from a weekend in Vienna. To add to Lareth's list:

Also the Belvedere is nice. I kind of just chilled and napped in the park for several hours. I'm that kind of tourist. I also like sitting in beer gardens for long hours.

Depends on what kind of tourist you are. If you do museums, avoid the Künstlerhaus' Terrakotta soldiers. They're just replicas. The Albertina is a very cool building. Belvedere also has some art.

Karlsplatz U-Bahn is also creepy at night, lots of sketchy people.

Stephansdom is okay, but climbing the stairs to the top of the tower only to be in this little gift shop with 2 open windows was lame. I think the rest of it was under construction or something. I expected a great open air view more a la Prague or Ulm.

When you get into Vienna, just go into a book shop (like Frick) and buy a guide book for around 10 Euro. Don't buy them from Vendors on the street, they're usu. not that great with practical stuff like restaurants, best parks, etc.

If you can read German, get the Spirallo auf Deutsch for about 5 Euros.

6. yumx123 macrumors newbie

enjoy it

that would be a nice tour.i kinda jealous of u cuz i had never been there.Vienna the capital of world music. just enjoy it:)

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

eat sachertorte

and do not order coca-cola or some other american beverage with it.
    Perhaps a Wiener Kafee schould go better with it.

8. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

hi there!

i live in vienna and probably know a few things ... :D

you should definitely visit either schönbrunn or the belvedere. though schönbrunn is the famous and big place to go, belvedere is some kind of little brother. it's a bit calmer there because not so many tourists know of this place...

stephansdom is also quite obvious. try to climb it if you can :)

when you're at stephansdon, just take a walk in this area ... it's the central district with a unique viennese flair when you stroll through the small alleys and see those little shops etc ...

prater is actually okay, but i would not go there. it's just an amusement park .

you could definetly go karlsplatz and follow the signs till you are in front of the opera house (Staatsoper). There's a big one-way street called "Ring" that's been the citie's border som 200 years ago. if you walk along it, you will pass quite everything there is to see: parliament, Rathaus, university, national nature and art museum, Hofburg, Burggarten, ...

One of the best things one can do in Vienna is, to drink coffee in an old viennese style coffee house. It will be quite easy to spot one near "Graben" which is an exit of subway U1 Stephansplatz station, but you should definitely go for one of the better ones like Café Griensteidl (Sigmund Freud, Arthur Schnitzler etc used to go there back in the days), Café Central or Café Dommayer (which is situated near Schönbrunn).

Eating and drinking is awesome here. Just check a supermarket for milk products ... you will see that eating in Vienna is much about quality of the ingredients. There are definetly some places to go:

If you want to eat in a classical ambience, you should not miss out on eating viennese Schnitzel (Wiener Schnitzel) at Figlmüller's. Figlmüller serves the biggest (and probably best) Schnitzels in town - you can find it near Stephansplatz at Wollzeile 5.

But if you want to eat a bit more rustical, there are a lot of nice places a bit outside of Vienna. Especially Grinzing district is home to many "Heuriger"s. This is a type of restaurant where you usually sit outside in a garden on some kind of benches around a long table. The waiter only serves self-made wine, beer or non-alcoholic stuff. If you want to eat something you have to go inside the house and choose from dishes they present to you (usually you should try a little of everything here if you are not used to eating "Schweinsbraten", "Blunzen" or "Speckmeisen").

If you want to eat Sachertorte, do NOT go to Hotel/Restaurant Sacher! Though they claim they make the original Sacher cake, their Sacher cake is not that special. Your mouth feels kind of dry when eating a Sacher-Sachertorte. You should go over to Demel's K&K Hofbäckerei who delivered all kinds of pastries and cakes to the king back in the days ... their Sacher cake is also claimed by many historians to be the real original Sacher cake. Their Sacher cake is _MUCH_ better as it has not one, but two layers of marmalade inside - so it's not that dry. (You can find Demel at Graben in the central district!)

Vienna is actually a quite nice city to go shopping. For expensive clothes and international brands such as LV, Diesel, Burberry, you should check out Graben. If you want to check all kinds of other things, there is Mariahilfer Str. (subway U2 - station Museumsquartier;; U3 - station Zieglergasse and Neubaugasse;; bus 13A and 14A station Neubaugasse). There is an Apple shop called "McPro" near the U2 station. If you're taking along a girlfriend, she might be interested in looking at clothes at Neubaugasse.

At night, you should check out "Hermann's Strandbar" near the Urania on Schwedenplatz if it's warm outside ... otherwise just check the first district, there are plenty of bars and pubs.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask :D sorry for my sloppy English, I definitely write better, it's just that I woke up a few minutes ago :)