Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
1789 Sucks

Ris Lacoste, the chef at 1789 hasn't put anything new of exciting on the menu in years... they stay afloat because they're part of the Clyde's group. They rest on their past laurels.

If you want an amazing dinner, go to Citronelle. Chef Michael Richard is there most night, the food is simply amazing. Look him up.

For something cheaper (and seasonal, again- which 1789 is not), try Mendocino, in GTown, near Citronelle. Terrific wine bar, about half the price of Citronelle.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
iGary said:
Don't think so, but don't know for sure. This was a little two-theater place that had a nice bar, cafee outside, and a balcony in each theater where you could get served diinner and drinks while the movie played (usually independent films). Best part was it was noly a block from our place.
Yeah...the Apex in B-more is a little more seedy.

Back on topic, I think you have a good list of places to go to for the birthday dinner. If you want a good review of the places, I'm going to suggest headding to the Washington Post website. Tom Sietsema's reviews are fairly spot on. The other critics are a bit more hit or miss.

[quote-gwuMACaddict]Ris Lacoste, the chef at 1789 hasn't put anything new of exciting on the menu in years... they stay afloat because they're part of the Clyde's group. They rest on their past laurels.[/quote]
While the food is good (but not exciting) at 1789, I don't think that it is the only reason to go there. What 1789 has that a lot of other places in DC lack is good atmosphere (note - you can find it at others, but not a whole lot). The location is in a quiet neighborhood (M is muffled), so you can go for a walk after dinner before picking up your car. Also, the interior is convoluted enough that you can have a nice conversation without a lot of background noise - the is something that a lot of nice places just can't seem to get right.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I couldn't be happier or more grateful for all the responses here. Many thanks to everyone. I have enough of a list now for two trips.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
aricher said:
I couldn't be happier or more grateful for all the responses here. Many thanks to everyone. I have enough of a list now for two trips.

Give us a report on your trip when you get back. :D

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
iGary said:
Give us a report on your trip when you get back. :D
Not good enough. I want you to steal away in various moments, giving us real time updates. Maybe you could be fitted with a electronic tracker and a small camera that gives us live imagry of your trip. in the spirit of kindness and friendship, you can even take it off at intimate moments :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Rosa's Mexicana across from the Verizon Center! (formerly the MCI Center) mmm...

The National Zoo is fantastic, if you like zoos.

I'm going to have to check out some of the things these other locals have suggested. Great lists everyone! :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
nbs2 said:
Not good enough. I want you to steal away in various moments, giving us real time updates. Maybe you could be fitted with a electronic tracker and a small camera that gives us live imagry of your trip. in the spirit of kindness and friendship, you can even take it off at intimate moments :)

The iChip in the back of my neck and forehead mounted 3rd-iSight should provide sufficient data. Seriously though I'll put together a photo essay when we return. Thanks again everyone!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
gwuMACaddict said:
Dinner:See: National Cathedral- often overlooked, impressively beautiful. Same goes for the Catholic Basilica

Also overlooked is Mount St. Sepulchre, the Franciscan Monastery

I also forgot to mention the various military band and parade performances in the area.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
nbs2 said:
While the food is good (but not exciting) at 1789, I don't think that it is the only reason to go there. What 1789 has that a lot of other places in DC lack is good atmosphere (note - you can find it at others, but not a whole lot). The location is in a quiet neighborhood (M is muffled), so you can go for a walk after dinner before picking up your car. Also, the interior is convoluted enough that you can have a nice conversation without a lot of background noise - the is something that a lot of nice places just can't seem to get right.

In that case, I reccomend Park Cafe near Eastern Market. Cheaper than 1789, just as delicious, with a revolving menu, and the chef is always on hand and checks on his patrons. Also a cute neighborhood to walk around.

1789 does have good food, but at the price? Ridiculous.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I went to Bens Chili Bowl tonight, and I must say, I wasn't that impressed. We went there because the Frommers travel guide said its good and very cheap, 2 things we wanted. But, if you're like me and don't like chili, too bad, you're paying for it anyways. All I wanted was a cheeseburger, but had to get a $5 chili cheeseburger and just have them leave the chili off. The reason Frommers said everything on their menu is cheap is because everything is sold seperately. Fries were another $2, so was a soda. So after everything was said and done, I paid just under $10 for a burger, fries and soda. It was good, but not worth that kind of money. I would have been just as happy with a value meal from McDs.

Also went to Kramerbooks tonight which someone recommended. Didn't eat there, but it seemed like a very nice place.

BTW, there is a decent sized Apple Store in Pentagon City Mall which I was at today. Didn't go into the Apple Store though...I told my sister that if I went anywhere near the doors of the Apple store to use as much force as possible to pull me away so I didn't spend money I don't have on stuff I don't need :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
yg17 said:
I went to Bens Chili Bowl tonight, and I must say, I wasn't that impressed. We went there because the Frommers travel guide said its good and very cheap, 2 things we wanted. But, if you're like me and don't like chili, too bad, you're paying for it anyways. All I wanted was a cheeseburger, but had to get a $5 chili cheeseburger and just have them leave the chili off. The reason Frommers said everything on their menu is cheap is because everything is sold seperately. Fries were another $2, so was a soda. So after everything was said and done, I paid just under $10 for a burger, fries and soda. It was good, but not worth that kind of money. I would have been just as happy with a value meal from McDs.

Been a while since I was at Ben's Chili Bowl. Pricing is not bad for "real" food IMO.

Being cheap when it comes to eating on the fly, I try not to do McD's any more. If I want cheap I "self-cater" now.

If you like burgers then you have to try and catch Five Guys (http://www.fiveguys.com/). They have a place near Chinatown now. IMO the best burgers on the planet.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
On the topic of DC...my flight leaves from Reagan today. I know there's a metro stop there, but is the stop right at the airport, or is it one of those things where the stop is a couple blocks away from the airport and I have to haul my luggage down the street from the stop to the airport?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
yg17 said:
On the topic of DC...my flight leaves from Reagan today. I know there's a metro stop there, but is the stop right at the airport, or is it one of those things where the stop is a couple blocks away from the airport and I have to haul my luggage down the street from the stop to the airport?

The stop is right at the airport.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
yg17 said:
Assuming you haven't left yet, like Chip said - stops at the airport. Make sure when you get to the station you go the proper side for your airline - there are two separate exits from the station - I almost went down the wrong one. Nothing harmful happens, but you do have to haul your luggage for a bit as punishment. Otherwise, as soon as you get out of the station, there are moving walkways that will take you all the way to the actual terminal.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
nbs2 said:
Assuming you haven't left yet, like Chip said - stops at the airport. Make sure when you get to the station you go the proper side for your airline - there are two separate exits from the station - I almost went down the wrong one. Nothing harmful happens, but you do have to haul your luggage for a bit as punishment. Otherwise, as soon as you get out of the station, there are moving walkways that will take you all the way to the actual terminal.

Alright, thanks. It's either the Metro, or have my sister who just moved here Friday (I came with her to help her move) and doesn't know how to get anywhere, figure out how to drive to the airport, so Metro it is. And I hope there will be signs telling me where to go once I get off, my flight is AA

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
yg17 said:
Alright, thanks. It's either the Metro, or have my sister who just moved here Friday (I came with her to help her move) and doesn't know how to get anywhere, figure out how to drive to the airport, so Metro it is. And I hope there will be signs telling me where to go once I get off, my flight is AA
Plenty of signs. As long as you are mildly intelligent, you should be able to figure it out. Which is why if Lori hadn't been with me last time I flew out of DCA, I would have gone the wrong way. Just remember...go the way the arrow points. :D

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Might I recommend visiting Old Town Alexandria. Take the blue or yellow line train to King Street station. Get in a cab and ask to be taken to the 100 block of King Street. There is some pretty good high end shopping and eating in a very old, historic area of Alexandria, VA. After you're sick of shopping, tired of walking, and ready to sit down for a nice dinner, meander on over to the docks at the end of King Street for a dinner and evening cruise on the Nina's Dandy, a dinner boat specially designed to go under the low bridges around DC. http://www.dandydinnerboat.com/ (You may need reservations).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
TRavel Warning for the National Mall area at night

In the past few days there have been a few muggings on the National Mall late at night. Police have increased patrols on the Mall.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGary said:
I second Kramers and Brickskeller. ;)

I'll recommend that - spent many an evening there - great place, but go just for drinks, the food is ok, but nothing special. And make sure to order something you've never had before :D

Sala Thai is ok, but its not my favorite Thai place - Mai Thai in Old Town Alexandria is quite good, and its down by the water front. But if you like good asian seafood, Ten Penh is awesome. Its just north of the Smithsonians and the Mall on Pensylvania Ave. You might want to make reservations and its a little more upscale, but its worth it.

Have fun!

D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
nbs2 said:
Plenty of signs. As long as you are mildly intelligent, you should be able to figure it out. Which is why if Lori hadn't been with me last time I flew out of DCA, I would have gone the wrong way. Just remember...go the way the arrow points. :D

Yep, I made it.

The blue train was packed, I'm guessing everyone was going to Arlington Cemetary.....

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
orlando
i am sure you will notice the concrete pylons that guard the venues around the Capitol…

their effectiveness the ability to stop intruders attackers was finally proven without doubt: they stopped somebody… Patrick Kennedy!

(i wish i could make that sound as funny as the comedian that i stole it from was able to…)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.