Going to West Palm Beach, Florida next month. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ish, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Not quite as idyllic as it sounds I'm afraid, though it should be nice! We're going to a business conference at West Palm Beach and we'll have a day there before it starts plus most of the last day to travel back to MIA, only about 80 miles. There are two national parks near MIA but places need to be reasonably accessible by car as we won't have any proper walking gear with us.

Anyone know this area and can recommend places to visit (and photograph of course)? I've not been there before and would like to make the most of it.

Given the location, I'm thinking a polarising filter would be a good investment. I don't have one at the moment as I haven't had a suitable lens until recently.

Any other tips? Many thanks!

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

If you are certified, there is some great drift diving just offshore. Take a camera with an underwater housing. At least that's what I do when go down to WPB. :cool:

You can PM me for a dive op recommendation if needed. :)

3. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

Thanks for your post and your kind offer. I've never done anything like that, I'm a landlubber I'm afraid!

4. someoldguy macrumors 65816

If you're interested in bird/nature photography try Wakodahatchee wetlands , Green Cay Nature Center , and Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge . They're all within an easy drive of Palm Beach and of each other . The first 2 probably have the best bird photo opportunities as they have walkways out into the wetlands ... the last has a walkway into a cypress swamp which is pretty neat,and shouldn't be too buggy at this time of year.
    Start early and you can do all 3 in a day no problem. Was down there last spring and there were lots of nesting birds . 200mm or so on a crop body camera should get you pretty good images . Have fun

5. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

Thanks for this. These places look totally different from anywhere I've been before. I also enjoy landscape/travel photography. I was going to buy a polarising filter before going on holiday in September but would you recommend getting it before this trip? This is a totally new climate for me.

6. someoldguy macrumors 65816

By all means get the polarizer and use it . It'll cut glare off the water and , if you go walking around the open , 'ponded' areas of Lox. it'll darken up the sky nicely and bring up any clouds . Hat and sunblock are also a good idea if you're like me and sunburn easily.