Going Traveling | MBA v MBP | Design, Web, Video, Code

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaded-mandarin, Jul 10, 2017.

?

Would a well-specced MBA be up to the challenge?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Hi all, I'm sure there's countless other threads covering the same questions, so apologies for repetition.

Originally a graphic designer who has since moved more to general marketing, I know work across design, front end web and recently Xcode for an App we built.

Just into my 30th year, I've made the decision to take some time out and travel the world with my partner. I've also set some personal goals to become more fluent in web and learn some programming (Swift). Whilst I'm away I also want to edit the videos that I'll be shooting of my travels (probably FCP).

I've always been provided with work machines, and am currently using a mid-2015 MacBook Pro 15" which does everything I need perfectly. My question is whether I'd be able to get away using a MBA for my tasks when traveling (FCP, Adobe Illy/PS/Id, Brackets, Xcode) or if I just need to bite the bullet and pick up a MBP?

I'd be picking up the machine 2nd hand (2013/2015), as as well as cost, weight is also very important, hence why I'd preferably like to get away with a MBA (I'll probably also be taking an iPad...)

The video stuff – which I imagine will be the biggest issue – will not be groundbreaking, just nice simple edits of some of the stuff I get up to.

Is it feasible with a decent specced Air? Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

An Air will do it fine it's not like you need to render huge 4K files as quick as possible or anything, You may also want to look at the retina macbook which will also do that use case fine in a smaller slimmer far lighter package.

3. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Another shout for the Retina MacBook.

It will do everything you need, and the screen is much better than that of the MacBook Air. It also much more compact and lighter, which may be an issue if you are travelling.

I too am a frequent traveller (business, in my case) and I bought a MacBook for precisely those reasons - lightweight. and portability.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Look up a 13 inch rMBP,should do everything you possibly need,and the extra weight is worth it.