Going up a directory when attaching files in emails and other applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by richard7893, Dec 19, 2018.

1. richard7893 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am looking for a way to go up one directory in macbook pro when making an attachment in an email. As it is now, if I go a try to browse my computer when making an attachment, it automatically goes to a folder I previously used. If this initial folder does not have the file i want to attach, I basically have to go from the main directory and go thru all my sub folders to get the file I want to attach. This can get really annoying, especially if the file I need is only one subdirectory above where the initial attachment folder pops up. This feature is prevalent in Windows, where I can simply go thru the file system one subfolder at a time (ie travel "backwards" in the file directory system).

I know there is a way to do this in Finder by going to View>Customize Toolbar>Path but I am also looking for a way to use this when ATTACHING a file to an email or other application. This same issue occurs when I want to Save As in word docs, ppt, etc for example. Hope this makes sense.

2. chabig macrumors 603

You can't beat a keyboard shortcut. Cmd-up arrow moves up the directory.

3. richard7893 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK that works, but is it possible to put an icon for that keyboard shortcut in the toolbar for this specific window?

4. chabig macrumors 603

There is already a popup menu in the center of the toolbar from which you can go up any number of levels. I don't think you can customize that toolbar, though.