Going up a level when dragging/dropping files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NATO, Apr 10, 2008.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm a pretty experienced OS X user, but I've never quite found a simple way to go up a level when dragging files. For example, say I'm in:

/Users/Me/Folder1/Folder2 and I drag a file from Folder2 and want to drop it into Folder 1, how do I do this easily? I've always found myself dragging the file to the hard drive icon on the desktop until it spring-loads a finder window and navigating from there, but obviously this is quite time consuming if it's a complex path, especially as all I'm wanting to do is move the file from one folder to one only a level up. Obviously that's where a cut function would be great.

Is there an easy method I've managed to miss?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Column mode.

Or list mode: instead of double-clicking on Folder2, just unfold it and then drag the file up into Folder1.

3. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

Good point. Seems a bit of an omission though that there isn't an easy way to go up or down when in icon view, even to allow you to use the keyboard shortcuts Cmd+Up while holding the icon.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, I agree it is kind of odd, but... there you go I guess. :eek:

5. quest4apple macrumors member

If you are using Leopard, you can enable "Show Path Bar" under the view menu. This will create a thin strip under the window in which you can see the path to the current folder. You can then drag and drop between the main window and any item in the path.

Another easy answer is to open two windows and drag from one to the other.

6. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

That's very handy! I wasn't aware of the path bar, it certainly does the job though :)