Going wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclook, Mar 11, 2015.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

I thought I'd make a thread discussing how we're going to survive with just one port. Below are my use cases. Personally, I'm not too worried since I've been living mostly wirelessly with only a few cases here and there where I need a direct connection.

Photos - PhotoStream
    SD Card - I've had a 128gb PNY StorEDGE in my slot for my 256gb MBA. I'm considering the 512gb MB which should be more than enough. I'm not a big time DSLR user so SD card isn't as big a deal to me as others.
    TV mirror - AirPlay works great for me. I wish we could AirPlay videos on websites similar to how iOS AirPlay works rather than having to mirror the entire display.
    iOS backup - iCloud Drive/wifi backup ($4/mo for 200gb)
    File transfer - Dropbox or equivalent. iCloud Drive is lacking sharing features right now. (Dropbox - 5gb free, I'm sure OneDrive and Google Drive offer a lot of space for free too). Also Airdrop but Airdrop has been finicky and/or slow in my experiences with larger files. I can get it to work eventually but not as seamless as I'd like.
    File storage - USB hard drive plugged into Airport and a 3TB MyBookLive
    Music - iTunes Match ($25/yr)
    GoPro - wifi transfer (haven't tried this method yet but I saw a video on YouTube describing the process)

Worries:
    iOS Videos - The only way I know how to get videos over to my mac is to go through iPhoto. I hate this process and have a ton of videos on my phone that haven't been transferred over because I'm too lazy to do an iPhoto upload. I would love for PhotoStream to support videos soon.
    Charging iPhone through plugged in MBA - I do this all the time. I charge my phone through my MBA since it's faster while the MBA is also charging with a magsafe. It's just convenience for me to "daisy-chain" rather than using two wall outlets. The $79 adapter might allow for this.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, that's the only thing that bothers me. I like to charge my smartphone via USB. I never do it through the wall outlet.

3. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

They are going to end the wires. Apple just became a Rob Lowe commercial.