Goings on at the O2 store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisparr, Jun 7, 2008.

1. chrisparr macrumors regular

I don't know anyone who works for Apple or O2, but this is what I witnessed with my own eyes today. Read into it what you will.

In town this morning the local O2 store was closed for refurbishment from today (no reopen date posted in the window). All the displays were empty of phones and a group of people were milling around inside (I recognised some of them as the regular employees).

Wandering past the place some time later everyone was grouped by someone demonstrating a phone. It was rectangular, black and had a touch screen. He rotated it through 90 degrees and pointed at some things before rotating it back, so I assume it can flip portrait to landscape.

He was doing this at the back of the store by the tills out of public view, apart from the fact a security camera was pointing at the tills and the picture was displayed on a big monitor in the corner.

The phone was very iPhone'esq and could of been the iPhone 1, but I can't imagine all the staff would be that interested in something they had been selling for ages.

Could be the new iPhone, or some other new touch screen phone from another company.

Anyway, draw your own conclusions. I just thought a store refurb and a touch screen product demo to staff was interesting given the proximity to WWDC and rumored announcement.

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

thanks for the info. This just adds to the speculation that next week will be the released date.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I will be off to Nottingham this evening, I will walk past two of their stores and see if they have made any changes inside. There's 2 carphone warehouses too, and they've still got a stand, but a just a sign where they used to have iPhones.

CANT WAIT! =D

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

MAybe he was actually just showing them something. Like a funny picture on the internet or a movie or something. Or maybe he had the 2.0 software hacked onto his iPhone and he was showing them all the cool stuff coming later this month.

6. chrisparr thread starter macrumors regular

He seemed to be going through the motion of demonstrating features rather than a picture or something, but I suppose it could be something like V2 firmware on a V1 iPhone.

Like I said, it could be nothing, it just raised my eyebrow given the timing.

C

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

And I'm not trying to shut you down or anything. Just raising other possibilities.

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

I went to my local o2 store today (to redeem some vouchers i had)

Everything was as usual, three staff all pretty idle

Same iPhone display unit with three iPhone in docks with a glass sign next to it saying out of stock...

CPW is next door and nothing was happening there either...

Maybe it being 9.30 am and the shops only having just opened nothing much was happening yet....

BTW it was the Hounslow stores...

9. Samaritan macrumors member

"and to clear the screen on the new O2 Etch-a-sketch you rotate it like this.."

:)

10. Cyburnclassic macrumors member

11. chrisparr thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not one to stoke rumors for the fun of it, so with other O2 stores looking normal I'm guessing it's probably a coincidence.

12. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Kirkcaldy, Fife O2 store closed till next week for refurbishment.

13. jontucker macrumors 6502

I heard a rumor that some stores, even ones that have NOTHING to do with phones, sometimes shut while they're being refurbished!!

STOP PRESS: My local B&Q was shut when I drove passed tonight, there were people milling about inside, could have been shopfitters I suppose, and there was a huddle of them in one corner looking at a video of an armadillo doing a headstand on one guys phone!!

I can only presume that this MUST mean that the iPhone 2 is coming out in the very near future. Well, that and all the other clues!!!

Peace!

14. chrisparr thread starter macrumors regular

:) A store refurb on its own means nothing, and I think I admited a few posts ago that it was probably nothing out of the ordinary. If I hadn't seen the guy demo what looked like an iPhone to staff who had been selling the thing for ages, I wouldn't have posted.

Anyway, what's a site with rumors in the name for if not to start rumors :p