Gold iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mario-64, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mario-64 macrumors regular

I plan on making my pre-order tonight for the 4.7" but have a question. I remember when the gold 5S came out it was back-ordered due to high demand/insufficient supply. Any idea if that will be true with the 6? I'd like to get gold but not if it's going to delay shipment.

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

It's impossible for anybody to answer that but a sensible guess would say that there should be no more shortage of one color than of another.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

the only way to know is try and pre-order. if it is, then you have a decision to make. DON'T REGRET IT! :cool:

:apple:

4. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Last year I think there were reports that Apple underestimated the demand for the gold iphone so if that is true, I imagine they have a lot better estimate on the demand.

It kinda makes sense if you think about it. No one had released a gold phone before so you are really guessing about the expected demand.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

I'm saying this in the most respectful way, but Apple is too good at marketing to claim they were caught off guard. Looking back then it really does look like it was an artificial shortage to mask the fact that the phone wasn't really that big of an upgrade. People were so focused on "Color" that they forgot to talk about "Content".

This year is different. Much bigger screen, better camera, TouchID new features, health aspect and better battery. So for the large majority of buyers who are upgrading from 4/4S/5 then the features far overshadow something as insignificant as "color".

Think about it. The iPhone got its first MAJOR redesign in 4 years and nobody is talking about it because "how it looks" means nothing compared to "what it does". IF Gold sells out then I don't think it will be far behind in backorders. (Especially since Black is really the best color on this model. Yeah, I said it.)

7. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I won't comment on the shortage stuff because as I said before it was just a rumor that they were caught off guard, but no one will really ever know.

I do agree that the Space Grey is the best color this year except for the face. I just can't get over the boring black front. I like the way the screen pops with the white bezel. This is why it is so hard for me to decide on a color this year!

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

When you're ordering it will either say "Available to ship Sept. 19" or it will mention a delay.

At some point tomorrow all models will likely become back-ordered. But if your order is in the non-delayed bunch it should stay there.

9. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I think - I HOPE - Apple learned it's lesson with the 5s and the demand for gold models. The only question is whether Apple thinks there is some marketing edge to be gained by creating a short-term "shortage" of gold phones.

10. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I don't think there will be a problem, Apple knows the demand of the gold models ahead of time this time around.

Here's why I wanted gold last time:

http://youtu.be/n7-RetY7fGo

11. HJ24 macrumors regular

Doubt it, think about it. They're offering 2 iphone models, 3 colors, 3 storage sizes.

12. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yes. I am placing a massive gold iPhone 6 order. You will be delayed. Period.