Gold pin on logic board when removing video cable.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sparklegrass, May 20, 2012.

1. sparklegrass, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

sparklegrass macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 27 inch early 2011. While replacing the hard drive which died over a year later, I accidentally broke the video connector and one gold pin from the logic board. I have a guy who can solder the pin back on but I have to buy a non working logic board for the part. I see on ebay there are some 21.5 in iMac logic boards I can buy strictly for parts and repair, but can I be safe knowing it will still have the same exact same gold traces/pins to use on my 27 inch. Some are late 2010 logic boards swell. Is it safe to say they have the exact parts of that kind because they are the same computer, just one is bigger then the other. Its the gold pin I'm looking for not the socket. Thanks:apple:

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

mouser electronics #656-FI-XB30SRLHF11 is the correct part for the late 2009 and maybe yours, but it's almost impossible to resolder. If all else fails, you can connect an external monitor to the mini display port to continue using the iMac. Sorry, but the iMac is NOT service friendly. I will not buy another one unless it comes with a hard drive accessible door.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I agree with Senseless, it's going to be not just hard, but risky to re-solder it. Too much heat or electrical discharge, and goodbye board.

Soldering just the pin could easily result in melting the whole connector.

Try replacing the whole part.

And while the iMac may not be enduser friendly regarding support, it's a great Computer. I wouldn't bother upgrading the internal Hard Drive, and instead add external drives using USB, FW800 or even better Thunderbolt.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, that would be a much better solution. I would still rather see a more serviceable design, with better cooling.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the DisplayPort Cable is a cheap replacement, and better solution then soldering which honestly probably won't work in this situation.
    perhaps talk to an AASP that can order it for you at their cost and just swap that out.

6. sparklegrass thread starter macrumors newbie

I need a pin. Heres a picture of what they look like.http://f.cl.ly/items/3u2S290N22090E1R0N0c/dc.jpg
    There is a iMac 21.5 logic board for parts and repair I might buy to obtain one of these pins. Mine was a 27 inch but i think it is the same in the smaller 21.5 iMac.

7. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

yikes, thats a tough one there.
    I dont know if soldering would resolve it. i have no idea where youd get a pin specifically like that without another logic board.
    Id restore the machine to its original condition, take it in and see if they can help you out.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Wouldn't returning it to the original configuration and trying to coverup the fact that he did it be considered fraud?

9. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Never said anything about covering it up. thats up to him if he wants to be honest. I just stated to restore the machine and bring it in for service.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

While that is true, restoring the machine to the original state implies that the issue occurred in that state.

If he is going to take it Apple, or anyone else for that matter, it would be better if he left it in its current condition so as not to cause further damage.

11. sparklegrass, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

sparklegrass thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, Im willing to take the chance rather then spend 1200 on a new logic board. The guy I sent it to is the only one in town with the proper equipment and soldering skills (computer tec) to do it. It is just one pin and he thinks its possible. I just need that one pin. The question is can I use a pin from a 21.5 imac logic board made the same year the 27 inch Imac was made being just one is smaller in size, the display that is. I know it probably is I just want to make sure before I buy a dead one for $100. It seems the 21.5 are cheaper then the 27 (logic board).

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

You could buy that Mouser part and remove one of the pins from that connector and solder it in. Doing just one pin is do-able. The entire connector is much harder if not impossible.

The picture you showed has the connector metal cover removed. Can you put this back on and keep all the connector pins in the right spots? The positioning is critical.

It might be possible to jump from the wiring harness directly to the solder pad on the board and forget about the pin.

13. sparklegrass, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

sparklegrass thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a mouser part? I am wanting to buy a logic board for parts and repair only (dead). Cant i just use one of those pins from that logic board. Like I said, my imac is a 27 in. but I found this 21.5 in, they should have the same type of pins one would think..? Thanks for replying