Gold Plated

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by markym, Feb 27, 2012.

1. markym macrumors newbie

I recently got my iPhone 4s professionally gold-plated by Goldgenie. The phone has now developed a fault with the microphone and needs to be replaced.
    I wondered if anyone had any experiences of this and whether or not Apple will void the extended warranty because of this.

Thanks

Marc

2. DroidRules, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

LoL..... really? I won't even comment on the "blingification" of your phone but so I can better visualize it as I LMAO could you please post a pic!

Next issue is a big resounding NOOOOOOOOOO! You modified the phone in a way that can't be unmodified. Your warranty went bye bye the second they started taking it apart to... hehehe..... bling it....... bwahahahahahahaha.

3. markym thread starter macrumors newbie

Hang on a minute, DroidRules.

My iPhone was gold-plated by a friend of my father who is a jeweler, nothing to do with Blingification.

Also, for information purposes, the phone wasn't taken apart, it never needs to be.

I thought that Macrumours was a site for help and info, instead i find tossers like yourself who have bugger all to do all day except reply to people with crap returns

4. DroidRules, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

What purpose does gold plating it do other than to "bling it?"

I answered your question with a legitimate answer. I figured in order to bling it you would of had to take it apart but to change what I said to fit your situation..... Next issue is a big resounding NOOOOOOOOOO! You modified the phone in a way that can't be unmodified. Your warranty went bye bye the second you decied to... hehehe..... bling it....... bwahahahahahahaha.

Any modification voids warantee. Will you please post a pic? Does it look like this?
    Oh and don't worry about me not liking it.... It's your phone. I don't care what you do to it..... Just don't be upset if I laugh.

Attached Files:

5. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

You're pretty much SoL unless you can get the gold plated undone. The very second you walk into a apple store with your phone and try to get a warranty work on it, they're just gonna giggle at you and say no.... That is the price you pay when you want to mod your iphone and can't unmod it when you need the warranty.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/081811_APP_iPhone_English_NA_v5.4.pdf

4. What is not Covered?
    4.1 Hardware Service. Apple may restrict service to the Covered Equipment’s original
    Country of Purchase. The Plan does not apply to:
    (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or provision of
    equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced;
    (ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) accident,
    abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes, (c) operating
    the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the
    manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by
    anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider
    (“AASP”);
    (iii) Covered Equipment with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or
    removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the
    written permission of the manufacturer;
    (iv) Covered Equipment that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers Covered
    Equipment that is returned to Apple in its entirety;
    (v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to
    scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports;
    (vi) Preventative maintenance on the Covered Equipment; or
    (vii) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the
    product.

6. alFR macrumors 68020

please ignore this, I'm out of eye bleach.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You say "the phone wasn't taken apart". I would see that as a bad thing. If it had been the part plated would be the only part subjected to whatever process was used to plate it. Now the whole device has been, at least in a peripheral way. This may be the actual cause of your issues.

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

THIS. A guy with a gold plated phone. There is so much wrong with this...

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You caused cosmetic damage. Any permanent modification to the visual appearance of the phone is considered cosmetic damage. You would be best to send it to a repair service that can replace the mic or whatever is broken.

10. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

If you can afford to gold plate your phone you should be able to afford gettin your phone fixed by a cell repairer. How muh did it cost anyways? U shud take some pics im curious how it looks.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

12. Blinded macrumors 6502

I came across this video on YouTube, for those of you interested to see what it would look like. Toward the end of the video it shows a few gold plated iPads as well. Not something I'd personally get done, but to each their own.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

does your father's friend work at Goldgenie? ... pics please

http://www.goldgenie.com/

14. alFR macrumors 68020

[​IMG]