Gold Plating a Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by testcard, Feb 25, 2016.

1. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

If your going to gold plate an Apple Watch. Go with the Time Preserve. Watch plate is good, but not as good. Within a couple of months the plating comes off.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess that's what happens when you buy one of those el cheapo DIY kits.

4. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Bad thing is if it goes bad. Wife's worked great for about 4 months than couldn't charge. Replaced it with a new one that kept losing Bluetooth connection and the watch had to be booted to get it back. Nothing else worked.

5. Simche macrumors member

Simche

watchplate.com <-- They have really good plating-service + most have done it with them. check their picture/review section, quite amazing

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do a search for them here. A number of MR members got poor services from this company, including incompletely plated watches, dirty boxes returned to them, and worse, the plating rubbing off over time. They actually have to resort to putting a transparent film on the underside of the watch to make the plating last longer.

7. Jvjlite macrumors regular

Jvjlite

Worth repeating....go with thetimepreserve.com! I had mine gold plated first part of July by the Time Preserve. It looks today just as it did when I received it back from them....no scratches, chipping, or fading. Two year warranty...20 years experience in refinishing fine watches.

8. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I actually did get my watch gold plated from the Time Preserve. However I wasn't aware of their existence until after I had my watch plated by WatchPlate. Sent it in, Looks amazing again.

9. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

^^ he's right.

I am one of those MR members... condition of the plating through watchplate degraded significantly after 6 months. From the research I've done since, TimePreserve does seem to be the way to go for these things.