Gold Plating................

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Piggie, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Ok, so before I start, this requires two "if's" we don't know about yet.

The 1st "if" is:

If the Apple Watch is modular, and very easy (with the few correct tools) to take apart.

The 2nd "if" is:

If the Edition Watch does indeed turn out to be VERY expensive to push it beyond most people's price range.

If both those criteria prove to be so, which could easily be the case.
    Don't you feel there could be a moderate industry pop up, offering to Gold Plate the stainless steel model for a fraction of the Edition's price.

So people who love the look/colour, can have the look they love at a price they can afford.

There are already companies that will Gold plate all manner of things, iPhones etc etc such as these people:
    http://www.gold-plated-iphones.co.uk/

Around £300 UK Pounds to Gold plate an iPhone rear case.

I accept a gold plated iPhone is not THAT popular as it's not sold as fashion/jewellery unlike a watch is.

As I say, if the Steel is say $500 or $600 and the Gold is, let's say $3000 to $5000 as some are suggesting.

I could honestly see quite a large surge in these companies offering to gold plate your watch for you, so you get your edition look (only you will know) for a fraction of the price.

What do you think?

And, yes I know some here hate the idea of anything gold plated, but that's not to say, everyone is anti it.

:)

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Yes, I believe there will indeed be 3rd parties who offer plating services for the Watch, and maybe even color anodizing! :D

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There are already third parties that plate iDevices. What's the point of this thread?

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Given the direction that Apple has been taking with all of their other products does anyone really think the watch will be "modular" or "very easy to take apart?"

6. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Well, unlike other Apple products, there is a gold version of the watch.

Many seem to think it will be outside most people's budgets.

I may be wrong, but gold plating an iPhone or iPad or iPod seems a very niche market. Not very popular.

Given the "supposed" status and expense of the real deal from Apple, I could see Gold plated watch services being must more popular.

Of course, the watch may be a total pig to get apart. We don't know yet.
    Or the edition may be priced way less than we think.

I wonder who, on these forums will be the very 1st person to show us photo's of their Gold Plated Apple Watch :)

7. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Stop posting the same thread over and over again. Mods should lock this.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There is already a company advertising Gold & Platinum plated Apple Watches, but they are also adding diamonds and charging up to $75,000. :eek:

I'm sure there will be others offering just a gold plating service it makes financial sense. It all depends on the cost of the Edition Watch.

9. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

I have never posted this before.
    I have commented about Apple offering a gold plated option, but never a 3rd party.

And if you wish to talk about duplicate threads, why not focus on the 20 or 30 of them about the price of the watch?

10. troop231 macrumors 603

I'd like to see some color anodized Sport aluminum Watches.

11. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Well, indeed, I'd suspect throwing a few diamonds in the mix does sort or take away the cost saving :D

As you correctly say, this all hangs on the official Gold models price.
    Funnily enough, I just read a posting on another area, back in September/November, where some jewellers, after looking at it, said they felt it could even be as high as $1200.

I had to giggle, seeing as how far the predictions have advanced since then.

----------

Yes. I agree :D

As we keep saying, Watches are all about personalisation.

Let's hope Apple have made them in such a way that they are modular?
    And then we may see quite a number of new firms spring up to offer this.

Would be great fun, if, in a few months time we start seeing lots of members here posting up photo's of their custom coloured Apple Watch.

If Apple won't bring back the colour into our lives, perhaps 3rd parties can instead :D

12. troop231 macrumors 603

Hmm, on this note, do you think some 3rd parties could offer a service where you send in your Watch and they will put in better water resistivity? :D

13. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Well, this is another thing hopefully Apple will clarify on Monday and tell us the industry Standard IP rating they have made the watch to.

IP 67
    IP 68 (Like the Sony smartwatch)

Will be interesting if they actually tell us, or just leave it vague so no one really knows.

Hopefully it will be excellent :)

14. troop231, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

troop231 macrumors 603

What IP rating is needed for showering and swimming or how about these surfing machines?

[​IMG]

15. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Here you go:

http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/fire_tech/ip_explained.htm

IP

Then the 1st digit "6"
    from the top box.

Then the 2nd digit "7" from the bottom box

IP 67 and 68 are the common ones generally

The current talk from here seem to imply only an IP64, (splashed water) which is a pretty low rating as ratings go.
    But as I say, hopefully Apple won't just leave this vague and will do what other large brands do with their product and state it's approved and tested official rating.

As I say, Sony manage to get up to IP68 which is superb

16. troop231 macrumors 603

Thanks for the link. Is there such a thing as air tight ratings? lol I know air seals are better than water seals.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, unlike iDevices, watches are considered jewelry and as such, gold-plating them aren't considered gaudy so they'll undoubtedly be more popular.

I wouldn't worry about the Watch being a total pig to get apart, third party companies are quite adept at that and many of them warranty their work as the original warranty would be voided.

However, I suspect that Apple won't make the Edition straps available for purchase separately except as a replacement for existing Edition owners. No reason for them do as none of the Edition straps are compatible with other models so you'll have to make do with a third party colored strap or at least gold plate the accents on the white/black sport bands.

18. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

It will be fun to watch.
    I still think Apple should offer an "affordable" gold "look" irrespective of the actual material.
    I'm sure, either:

1: Edition is priced far lower than many are predicting.
    or
    2: Apple will, in the future offer a gold "look" at a much more affordable price.

One of these two will happen. Mark my words :)

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're proposing incompatible options. If #1 doesn't happen (i.e., the Edition models are actually expensive), there's no way Apple will offer a gold-plated option and cannibalize the solid gold Edition model sales. You can't eat your cake and have it too.

20. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

People keep saying this, but I don't agree sorry.

Some keep insisting if Apple sold a Gold Plated Apple Watch it would destroy solid gold sales.

The reason I disagree is that they are different markets.

If what you are suggesting is true then no one would buy a $1000 gold neck chain, when you can buy a $50 gold plated neck chain.

We know that is fundamentally incorrect, as yes you can buy a $50 gold plated neck chain, and some people buy those as that is what they can afford.

However, other people still buy the $1000 solid gold chains as they like they like that they are solid Gold, and not plated.

The same would be the case with the watch.

The only "really sad" issue seems to be that the people who can afford the real gold option, some sad people in this category want to fee special, and showing off their gold makes them feel better human beings.
    These poor people don't like the fact that some others will look the same without having paid as much.

Makes me sad this.

21. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

Re gold plating

I don't agree with your logic, other than yes of course there will be people who want the gold look without wanting to pay the edition price.

With gold chains (to use your example), do jewellery companies make a solid gold chain, and then a cheaper gold plated version of the exact same chain? No, they don't. Another company may make a similar looking gold plated chain that the people who can't afford the solid gold one buy to get the same look, but I doubt very much (and cannot find an example online) of a company doing both solid gold and gold plated versions of the exact same item. It would make no sense, as it both devalues and reduces sales of the more expensive item.

Apple have proved time and time again that they know how to upsell. Now is not the time for them to start down selling their flagship product.

The closest I can see the, getting to this would be a white gold plated version as this could sit at the top of the apple watch tier, and have no effect on the edition tier.

22. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

9 Carat gold is VERY popular on the high street.
    You can get this, looks very nice, colour you like for a price that's affordable.

23. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

Re Gold

Yes of course it is, that isn't the same argument tho.

Find me a jewellery company that do the exact same items in 18 carat gold and either 9 carat or gold plated. You won't find them because they don't do it, for obvious marketing reasons.

Apple won't do it either.

Maybe at some point, if the Apple watch becomes the new iPhone selling hundreds of millions, there will be so many different lines that they can cater to all tastes and price brackets. However, as long as there is only one design, and a solid gold version is made, they will not make a gold plated or 9 carat version.

24. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure like their computers and phones, it will be hard to take apart. Apple wants you upgrading, not keeping it for super long periods of time.