Gold vs Black stainless steel series 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigchief, Dec 12, 2018.

1. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Is the gold stainless steel as scratch resistant as the black. My wife would like a gold one for Christmas. I have the black and I can't believe how tuff this watch is. With what I have put it through I can't believe there is not a blemish on it anywhere.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The Black stainless is the most durable coating bar none! All three of my Apple watches have been Black Stainless and after years of wearing, they all look brand new.

The Gold is durable but will scratch.

3. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty impressed with the Gold stainless so far. Had it since launch and there's still not a single scratch on it. I had the metal frame of a door hit it pretty hard and didn't get a scratch from that. Ive been wearing it to the gym with no issues. Ive never had the black stainless so I cant really compare but so far I have no issues with scratches on the gold.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

I love the space black! My previous S2 had a couple dings here and there. I work in a kitchen so it got banged against metal tables and doors a lot.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

With the black stainless you do not need to worry about polishing out scratches as there will be none. My two yer old AW2 still looks like new and I wore it daily for a year till the AW3 arrived. I expect my SBSS AW4 to be the same.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s not, the gold uses a physical paper deposition coating, which doesn’t have the hardness that diamond like carbon coating has, which the space black Apple Watch includes. They’re two different types of coatings, but the PVD coating is merely a protective over-lay on the casing, where as the DLC is like ‘protective paint’ per se. DLC is extremely resistant to scratches and scuffs.