Golden shellback

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swb1192, Jul 29, 2008.

1. swb1192 macrumors 6502

2. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I saw that! it looks awesome, but I hear that it costs $1,000 to do an iphone. I guess we have to wait untill they have shellback mall kiosks.

3. swb1192 thread starter macrumors 6502

The video says it's going to cost $50-$75 per device, depending on size... if I heard right?

The only problem is that when the company first starts doing this for the public, you're going to have to send this in to the company and wait for them to do this. Which means a few days without the device (yes, I know..horrible!!). But, as you mentioned, they may be putting this out for other stores to be able to this on-location.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely an option for my MBA, MBP, and iPhone...Can't wait for it to show up on the market. I'll send my 3G iPhone and just pop my SIM card into my v1 iPhone. :cool:

5. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

well 50 sounds way better! I'm glad I'm wrong. I might wait for a kiosk though

6. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

7. swb1192 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK so I guess I lied (not on purpose :))

I saw this on the news a few days ago, and it turns out you were right... it'll cost around $1000 per large technology equipment (aka laptop).

One person on the news brought up a good point by saying that they would hope the manufacturers of laptops some day pick up the tab and pay for the cost themselves. This would make products last longer, and happier customers.:apple:

8. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

And here I thought that a Golden Shellback was a sailor that while crossing the equator at the International Date Line paid homage to King Neptune and and Davey Jones :D

HawaiiMacAddict

P.S. Though I am a bit salty, having served 22 honorable years in the US Navy, I am but a "regular" shellback, never having the chance to achieve my "golden" moment.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Waterproofing from Golden Shellback is now available for the iPhone, for $120.

10. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

thank you Dr. Q, I might have to look into this. Maybe it will stop me from having dreams where I go surfing with my iPhone or drop it in the toilet!

11. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you pay that $120, your device(in this case, iPhone) is only guaranteed to be weatherproof for 30 days?

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's correct. They also say they will replace or repair a phone exposed to moisture but not one that was "fully immersed in water".