Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rustyk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
We currently have a mostly mac environment, but the PC numbers are beginning to grow due to quickbooks. We currently have a mac server set up and are looking to move to the golden triangle setup. We Have just purchased a windows server, and want to set it up right the first time. We want to migrate everything over from the mac server to the windows server (profiles) The windows server is going to host very little data, we are look only to host quickbook files and Windows profiles if it must. we also want to do this with the minimum amount of down time on the mac server, we know there will be some because we are also upgrading the hard drives at the same time.

Is there any setup instructions that I could follow along with? All of the instructions I have found are from no servers setup or a small windows server setup expanding to support mac.

Thanks.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
We currently have a mostly mac environment, but the PC numbers are beginning to grow due to quickbooks. We currently have a mac server set up and are looking to move to the golden triangle setup. We Have just purchased a windows server, and want to set it up right the first time. We want to migrate everything over from the mac server to the windows server (profiles) The windows server is going to host very little data, we are look only to host quickbook files and Windows profiles if it must. we also want to do this with the minimum amount of down time on the mac server, we know there will be some because we are also upgrading the hard drives at the same time.

Is there any setup instructions that I could follow along with? All of the instructions I have found are from no servers setup or a small windows server setup expanding to support mac.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the Magic Triangle setup where an Open Directory server provides attributes for users in an Active Directory or other directory system? I would look at the Directory Services book for Snow Leopard provided by Peachpit. It has GREAT instructions for what you need to do. http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321635329

Last edited:

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Actually, here are some rough instructions from the top of my head:

BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DIRECTORY FIRST... MAKE AN ARCHIVE!!

1. Open Server Admin
2. Activate the Open Directory service (if needed), and go into the settings
3. Change the role and bind the server to another directory
4. After, configure the server as a master as well (while keeping it bounded)
5. Kerberize the services if needed
5. Open Workgroup Manager
6. Create a workgroup and fill it with members from the other directory
7. Apply appropriate attributes (home folder location, MCX, etc.)
8. Bind the clients to both directories, FIRST to the Open Directory, then to the other directories

Last edited:

rustyk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I am not sure if the magic triangle is the same. I got the term from apple for supporting windows clients with a lion server. We have a snow leopard server currently and originally planed to move to a lion server due to aging equipment, but with the announcement of mountain lion, we are holding off at least a little bit.

Basically, what we are trying to do is support our few windows systems on a domain network to allow synced profiles to manage backups in one central location. We are planning on using the mac server to host all of the data, since it has a larger storage capacity, but mainly use the windows server to authenticate windows users in our current setup. Unless just adding a windows server to authenticate windows users is not possible, then I need to know where to go from a current mac Open Directory domain setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.