Gold's Gym sucks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by itcheroni, Jun 1, 2007.

1. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Okay, it could just be the franchise in Carlisle, PA, but I'm sure all gyms do this. I talk to them about cancelling and they said that everything is set and May would be my last month. Then I go in 2 weeks later with other friends who were moving and wanted to cancel. They then tell me I was set to continue indefinitely. After about 30 minutes of claiming the "person who does the cancelling" wasn't in, the woman gives in and we all cancel our accounts. I mention that I originally wanted to cancel two weeks ago, in advance of the 30 days before the next billing cycle. She says that it should be fine. I check online today and there's a pending transaction for the gym. WTF!?

I expect gyms to try and pressure into staying, but to just blantantly lie to my face every single time. Is there a gym out there that won't employ fraudulent business practices?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe they will follow on the heels of Ballys and file bankruptcy. ;)

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Nope, they all stink.

I had similar problems with a smaller gym found only in Texas. Tried to cancel and that first month out they still tried to charge me.

Maybe Jobs will create the iGym next... :p

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I recommend you go to your bank and tell them to stop payment and deny them access to get money from you.

They do not want to give up the power to just take money from you and clearly they are breaking the law by not canceling your account.

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I had that same problem with the a gym once before; all it took was one phone call from the family lawyer to clear things up.

It's written in a law book somewhere that it's illegal for gyms to make up a contract, that they're suppose to just charge a monthly fee.

6. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Oh, they'll do anything to get that money. And even when they think they can't, the employees will be too lazy/vindictive to stop the auto-charges. And even assuming they do, things still go wrong... it's not like they'd accidentally DEPOSIT money--obviously they would inappropriately debit money because of a payment system error. It happens.

But yeah--Gold's may have the history, but 24 Hour definitely bests them in terms of value and services. Of course, their salespeople are even worse, so I'd advise walking in there with $900 in hand to just buy a 3-year paid-up membership as well as a possible personal training package or initiation fee (depending on their mood and your haggling skill/desire). That way there is no heckling and you get the best deal and they aren't on your back... plus no unintended bank debits. :)

7. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only thing is that businesses like these can be brazen about just taking money. It's mostly to do with the growing popularity of arbitration clauses(I'm taking an arbitration program here in Montreal). It's amazing how we can so easily "consent" to waive our constitutional rights. I looked at my Gold's contract and there indeed is an arbitration clause, just like almost every other business nowadays. Which sort of makes me wonder why Apple doesn't limit their class action liability with a similar clause. I actually think I'll start another thread about that. Maybe it's to due with being incorporated in California(the only State resistant to binding consumer arbitration).

Just to summarize: Arbitration clauses mean you waive your right to bring suit in court, also your right to a jury trial, also your right to bring a class action, and there is also probably a forum selection clause too. Disputes will be settled by a private arbitrator and results will be kept confidential.