Golf question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fpb1980, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Fpb1980 macrumors regular

I currently have a Fenix 5X and when your golfing the watch does need to be connected to my phone to determine distance to the hole and what course im playing.

Can the apple watch 3 do the same thing? Do you need an app or is there a golf activity?

Thx

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You’ll need an app and there are plenty to choose from if I’m honest

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

I use an app called Fun Golf GPS, gives me very good hole information. With my series 0 it needed to be connected to the phone for location information, which meant the phone needed to be in a pocket otherwise if you walked around the distance information wouldn't change. I now have a series 2 with a built in GPS. When I first used it (again connected to the phone but the phone in the trolley) I found the distance didn't change. This is because, if the watch can get GPS data from the phone, it uses it in preference to it's own GPS (probably a battery saving thing). So now I start the app and once it is running turn on airplane mode on the phone. After this the app on the watch will use the watches built in GPS.

4. TScottTX macrumors member

TScottTX

I also use Fun Golf GPS on my S3 LTE. I leave my phone at home and it works great; golf GPS, phone, messages & notifications. Eats up the battery but then that's what chargers are for.