Gone and done it now - Trashed my photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, May 3, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

Well Ive gone and done it now, moved some old photos from iPhoto to trash I though I did not want any more, and now my sister wants me to send her some of the photos ive gone and trashed ( still in the Trash bin not deleted ) the photos are mixed up in the trash bin with some other photos I really do not need again, but putting the individual photos back to iPhoto I now want to keep , will take me ages to do. Is there any way I can return just the recently trashed photos quickly to their original place in a quick way ?

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

No, unfortunately this feature is not (yet?) implemented in OS X, there have been many discussions about it on this forum.

Sorry, I feel for you :(.

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Well my next hope is , can I some way search the trash for a photo number , like ... picture 1.jpg or DSC05277 , this would make looking through the large amount of trashed photos more easy to find the one I want to put back to its original place .

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would suggest making a folder on your desktop. Called it "Temp Photos" for example.

Then move all the photos from the trash to the "Temp Photos" folder. Now you can browse them easily and hopefully find the ones that you want.

You can also search for a photo by file name whether it is in the trash or not.

I don't envy the task ahead of you.

5. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, I will have to go that route . On my sisters laptop running windows xp, when she wants to return some thing she's accidentally put into the trash, all she does or so she says is just click once and the file is returned to its original place, I wonder why some thing like that simple option its not on OS X ..?

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not sure why. It is one of the differences between the Mac OS and Windows.

With windows, files removed from the trash can be automatically placed where they were deleted. On the Mac, you have to place them yourself.

One Windows type feature that I miss on the Mac at times. :(

7. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks , Ive just remembered I did a backup of my iPhoto Library to an external HDD, can I some how replace the current Library where the trashed photos were taken from , and put back my iPhoto Library copy from my external HDD which then should include all the trashed photos ..? :confused:

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, if your backup is current. Of course between when you did the backup and the current time any changes, additions, deletions, etc. will be missing.

Assuming that your backup is current, how did you back up your photos to the external HD?

9. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Now thats a good question, I must admit I did not personally do it, but a neighbor who set up my back up plan using SuperDuper, did it, and told me that an extra back up of my iPhoto Library had been put on my external HDD, but ive never really looked until just now. He some times comes over to help me out , this is a screen shot of the iPhoto backup , will it do the job ?, is so whats the best wat to do it ... Thanks again

Attached Files:

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If your neighbor is knowledgeable about your backup situation, then he/she may be the best source of information on this.

Without knowing the particulars for sure, I would probably do something like this:

1. Back up current iPhoto library to another external HD (not the one that you are currently using for you iPhoto backup).

2. Move all the pictures in the trash to the same external HD in number 1 above.

3. Delete the iPhoto library on your Mac.

4. Copy the original backup to the Mac.

5. Start iPhoto.

Backups can be complete, incremental or a combination of both. The key is to make sure that you have a complete backup, and in this case restoration.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck! :)

11. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for your advice, its Much appreciated . I will give it a try and see how it goes :)