Gonna buy a iPhone: Old or the new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBookfan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Hi

I wanna buy a iPhone but don't know if it should be the new (3g) or the old (2g).

I'm not going to use GPS, 3G and I don't like the plastic back on the new model (prefer the metal on the 2G).

And if I buy the old model I can jailbreak it and use my normal data plan instead of buying a new and more expensive one.

Is it stupid to buy the old one?

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Sounds to me like youve made your mind up.

my old models on eBay if you fancy it ;) ????

3. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

:) - Well I'm gonna tjeck it out. How much by the way? (I'm from Denmark)

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

5. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Yeah, maybe. But why did Apple use PLASTIC on the back! That's quite stupid.. I't gonna end up being all "dirty" with scratches and so on..

Others in the same situation? :)

6. jlwilsonjr macrumors member

New

I've been waiting a year for the iphone. Reason I did not get the original was becasue I need exchange support for work. Now the new software will provide exchange support for both models. However it seems that there is still a good market for used 8gb iphones so I would rather spend the same money and get the new one.

7. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I cannot imagine buying the old one at this point. It is a fantastic phone, but the next generation is available. I suggest you postpone judgement on the aesthetics until you get a chance to hold one in your own hands.

8. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Well.. it IS a great phone (the new one), but I don't really need the new features. And here in Denmark our prices are a bit higher than in the US. Even our plans for the phone. BUT if I buy the old gen and jailbreak it it's out of warranty, and that my only "be-aware"-problem

9. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Agreed....

10. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

You know, I was just looking at my 3-year-old Treo, which has a plastic case, and it does not show scratches any worse than my iPhone did (which I only had 3 months). It actually looks pretty good except that it's case cracked around the screen. That part is plastic, however. Isn't the iPhone still going to be metal around the screen?

Bottom line for me is that my old phone looks pretty good after 3 years of use and it's plastic, so I'm going to trust Apple that they chose wisely with the plastic that they will be using.

11. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Ok, good point about the Treo (exept the cracking :)), but if it gonna be like the 1g Nano's (which was terrible "hungry" after scratches!), its gonna be a prob'. :confused:

12. twitchton macrumors newbie

I prefer plastic

reports been saying the reception'ss significantly better now using it

and it looks glossy :D

13. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

plastic back

I've read that the plastic back improves WiFi reception....sorry, no links.:confused:

14. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Does the Treo have a shiny plastic back though? That's my concern. Especially given Apple's heritage with shiny plastic portables (iPod nano!).

15. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm with the OP here. I have no real need for 3G, and if I can find a first gen for a reasonable price I'm going to jump on it. I just hope I can find a way to use my current ATT plan and not have to pay through the nose for a data plan I don't need. I simply would like one to have for keeping up with calendar, contacts, etc. and don't need EDGE or 3G.

16. carlgo macrumors 68000

I was thinking about keeping the old phone for the wife unit and getting the 3g for me. However, there is no 3g coverage anywhere near here and you have to pay extra for it even so. And she couldn't care less having a cell phone anyway. Still, newer is almost always better and the gps is good. Maybe the new one would even get reliable 2g reception here at home.

17. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Yes, the new device is nearly always better than the old one... But I don't think so in this case..

Is it more expensive to use 3g than EDGE?

18. thaevster macrumors newbie

careful w/ the 3g!

One thing that made my decision a lock was the 3g usage. I was waiting to get a new one and then I found out several pieces of information that made that a bad idea for me.

- 3G costs $10 more a month
    - You have to buy the 3G plan with the new phone
    - I don't live in an area that has 3G coverage, and won't for a while.

So, especially if you're not planning on even wanting/needing 3G, I would def. get the edge phone so you don't pay for a service you don't need!

Esp. since most of the new software enhancements will be made available for free as a firmware update ;)

19. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Yeah, thats true. The plans being sold along with the new iPhone are WHY to expensive for me and I'm not using internet besides wi-fi-spots THAT much to justify the purchase of a expensive 3g data plan