Gonna check out an iPad tomorrow...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SR71, Jul 24, 2011.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

How can I make sure it is 100% legit? I'm buying it for my mom and I don't want to buy a non-legit iPad and have it break and screw up on her.

Thanks. :)

2. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only way to know for sure is if you buy it from a legitimate retailer (ie. Best Buy or Apple).

3. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Well, most iPads are legit, if it has the original box and accessories, you would compare the S/N. I have never heard of someone getting gypped with a Fake iPad bc you can easily tell. And they have the black Apple sign on the back.

4. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not really worried it's gonna be a fake iPad or anything, I was more curious to know if there was just a sure fire way to check if it was legit, but I'm guessing it will be.

Eh, I'll be fine. :)

5. norrismantooth macrumors regular

6. norrismantooth macrumors regular

Check to make sure the WiFi works. It's a dud if it doesn't.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I've never heard of and can't really imagine anyone manufacturing counterfeit iPads. The cost of manufacturing a device that looks like an iPad would be prohibitive. If you're purchasing a used iPad, however, you should take some precautions to determine that (a) it works and (b) it isn't stolen.

A brief examination for damage, five minutes of use, and adequate documentation from the seller should protect you if you're purchasing from someone other than an authorized dealer. If you're still concerned about theft or a non-functional iPad, a visit to an Apple store or direct contact with Apple support should resolve your doubts.

P.S. I stand corrected. Apparently there are counterfeit iPads (at least in Shanghai.) But if it looks cheap and the deal seems to good to be true. It may well be.