Gonna Jump off a bridge!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Guys

I have been looking for a reliable external/portable hard drive for a year, and cannot get an unbias review from any source.

I was looking at the Toshiba 500gb...and the Seagate Free Agent 500gb, but they both have gotten both bad and good reviews. Though the Seagate has gotten more good.

My eyes are bleeding, I just really want a drive to backup my files on my Mac, in time machine AND put some more storage on without dieing of the price...or because it failed.

I know they all fail sometimes, but overall which fail the least?
    And what about ministack are they worth the price?

Sincerely fed up girl, with low hd space!!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

get one of those pass port drives. quite nice and portable

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'd go with Seagate. They have 5 years limited warranty and reliable throughout my experience with customers.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, changing your thread title to something more meaningful would help. To change it, click the [​IMG] button by your post, then click "Go Advanced".

As far as external hard drives, I've been extremely satisfied with OWC drives, such as the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro, which comes in sizes from 80GB to 2TB. The 500GB model is here. If you want a bus-powered, more portable solution, check out the OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro, which ranges from 160GB to 500GB.

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

6. StoneyG macrumors regular

StoneyG

Just east of the Rockies, and north of the 49th.
    My 500 GB Free Agent Go has been treating well thus far.

Four of my five hard drives are Seagates, the other is from LaCie. So far, so good (on all of 'em).

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree!

I have two 500GB external triples.

I use FW800 to connect them. I have two short 6 inch cables. Very convenient and fast.

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

LaCie don't build own hard disks, they just produce the cases and put commodity Seagates/WD or whatever else they can buy at a good price in there.

Seagate HDDs are louder than WD or Samsung, but they're usually also faster. We use Seagate Barracudas in our servers, so yes, I can confirm that they're reliable. I also have WD and Samsung in my private portfolio, and they haven't let me down either. But Samsung sells the quietest hard disks.

500 GB are not nearly enough capacity though, if you're going to use a default Time Machine setup. I wouldn't buy less than 2 TB these days.

9. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the info guys,
    as for changing my title..it seemed to have worked well.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

A few points I'd like to make.

1) All hard drives die eventually, and could go at any time, including the one that's in your computer now.
    2) If you had some backup solution, then if either drive died (the internal or the backup), you'd still have your data.
    3) You currently have no backup so if your drive dies, all of your data is gone

My advice, buy the largest external drive you can afford to buy. Look into drive warranties, not failures. Everyone who's ever purchased an external hard drive has anecdotes about why he/she is glad they bought the one they did and not a competitor's drive.

Just buy something and start backing up your files.

EDIT: Also, Reliability is based on mean time between failures (MTBF). That doesn't necessarily mean that the drive is going to last that long.

EDIT2: Clarity.

11. dacapo macrumors 6502

Go with a WD Mybook, and you'll be all set. I too wavered for quite awhile, but that's what I landed on.

Plus, I'd say it's safer to buy even a less-reliable external HDD than to wait a whole year with no protection!

Recently, a close friend lost all of his unbacked up data and had to pay ~$1000 to salvage some of the data. I had a USB flash drive whose USB connector failed too, so I lost some data there. Lesson? Always back up. Always.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

for $40 on newegg get a thermaltake hard drive holder. buy any SATA hard drive and use it. when you run out buy another hard drive.

13. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Looked into iomega Drives? Very happy with the two I have.

14. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Only if you actually want your data... ;)