Gonna make the switch. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by I Need a Drink, Nov 15, 2014.

1. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

I'm thinking I'm going to purchase my first Mac. I was looking at the Mini, but now I'm thinking 5k iMac. I am not into gaming and don't do much photo or video editing. I will need Windows for some of my software and have decided that I'd prefer Parallels to using Bootcamp. Other than that, it will be used for Web, Office, Book Keeping, etc. Also I will be using AnyDVD HD and TSMuxer (in Windows), which does use some heavy resources when muxing, to rip Blu-Rays to my server. Do I really need an i7 and 32GB of RAM to make this a smooth experience?

2. cynics macrumors G4

You don't NEED an i7 but your usage would benefit from it.

Ram can be updated later. I don't know the configs but get 16 that way you can add another 16 to make 32. If you get 8 you'll either get a total of 24 if you ever add 16 or you need to replace the factory installed RAM if you want 32.

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

As already stated, you don't need them, but your experience will benefit greatly from them. I would start out with 16GB of RAM and if you feel the need to upgrade its easy enough. I would also consider looking at the non 5K 27" iMac which I also happen to have (late 2013), its a great machine. Also, for ripping blue rays, have a look at Handbrake and MakeMKV, depending on what format you rip to of course, you may not need Windows for ripping.