Gonna try jail breaking 3g.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3v0, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 3v0 macrumors member

Hey guys. I wanna try jailbreaking my 3g iphone. Everyone has told me not to since I have ATT but since the iphone 4 came out I want to try it. I plan to upgrade to the new iphone 4 in like a month or two. I'm gonna sell my 3g to radio shack for 100$ or whatever they offer when you upgrade to the 4.

But for the next month or so I wanna see what jail breaking is like. What is the best/ easiest program to do it? I want one that is easily reversible. Like the one what resets itself if you like restart the phone or whatever.

What do you suggest? Anyone think I shouldnt do it?

btw, idk if it matters but I am running ios4 currently on it.

2. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

To my knowledge, there isn't a jailbreak for iOS 4.0 yet.

3. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

it's easy as hell.

you do have to do one extra step to enable APN editing if you're going to use it with your T-Mobile data plan.

It think redsn0w is the best right now.

Make sure you don't check Multi-Tasking. It will slow the phone down A LOT.

I just restored my phone on OS 4.0/jailbreaked/unlocked(syncing right now as we speak) and I can tell a major difference with multi-tasking not installed.

4. 2of3 macrumors member

+1
    I JB my 3g and ticked multitasking and by the end of the day i had to restore and re JB without it as it was like wading through custard with wellys on..!!
    Since updating to os 4 my 3g has never felt quicker and the battery life seems to have improved vastly.
    I say go for it :)

5. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

Yeah, It does seem pretty quick.. But I came from 3.0 (my last iPhone)

when Apple replaced my 3G with a refurbished I was happy to know it was jailbreakable.

6. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Im gonna do it in the morning!

I see since its beta I have to let cydia load or something. Or like enter in a code so the icons arent white. How do I do all this?

7. 2of3 macrumors member

8. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

dude. Have you ever heard of youtube? search unlock iPhone 3G then click on sort by date newest. look for a guide.

9. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

How do I add a source though?

ok I'm gonna jail break it today but I just save a few questions.

1. It will keep all my contacts n stuff when I jailbreak it, correct?
    2. My phone was backed up I think when I installed OS4, will it still be saved on my itunes incase I wanna change it back? I'm just concerned on losing numbers.
    3. Can I change it back easily?
    4. Everyone says not to run multi tasking, when I un-select that can I still get custom home screen wall paper?
    5. I plan to sell my phone to radio shack, can I restore the phone fully by going into setting and clicking restore?

10. H.B.I.C macrumors member

as long as you sync it before you jailbreak it, you will have your numbers saved to your computer.

If you're going it jail break it, I would "set up as new iPhone" incase you DO decide to "un-jailbreak" the iPhone all you have to do is click restore from iTunes. then restore from your backup.

11. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

JUST DID IT!!
    I think it went okay, first attempt didnt work, the 2nd did. I'm currently in cydia and went to add sources. I typed in that link so I can have the cydia icon but it said not found but kept loading. Its been like 10min. Is this normal?

12. H.B.I.C macrumors member

turn the phone off and back on and try again