Goo Gone save for removing vinyl decal residue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors member

So I use decals on my macbook, and I use one of Pikachu holding the mac apple. I took it off recently and noticed a faint outline of the Pikachu on the mac. It's not really noticable unless you lightly rub a damp cleaning cloth on the mac. But I want to get rid of the resdiue and the faint outline on the mac.

Is Goo Gone save? I have the silver aluminum Mac.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pikachu-Pokemon-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-Skin-Apple-MacBook-Pr o-Air-Mac-13-inch-/380762354611?pt=US_Keyboard_Protectors&hash=item58a73473b3&_u hb=1

Would Goo Gone be safe and remove the residue? Cleanling with a damp cloth and water doesn't remove it, so I'm hoping Goo Gone is and safe.

I read someone saying it ruined their mac BUT they were using it on a plastic macbook. I'll obviously do a little tiny test and only use a little on a cloth when applying but would it be safe on aluminum?

2. lg251 macrumors 6502

Just cleaned up my 2009 before I sell it and used rubbing alcohol to remove the residue. It worked like a charm.
    After this I used paper towel dipped in a bowl of water that had a tiny little drop of dish soap. Then used a paper towel with water only, and then one dry.

It looks like new.

If you have a lot of «sticky» stuff still on it, use scotch tape or something sticky to remove some first.

3. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! The residue is weird, you don't even feel it you just see it very faintly or when you gently rub the case with water on a cloth. So I might try the goo gone and then rubbing alcohol if that doesn't work.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Goo Gone was fine on my 2009 MBP. Took off the residue from a Sailor Moon Artemis decal. Didn't even leave the citrus smell behind :)

6. lg251 macrumors 6502

No problem.

Forgot to mention I used q-tips with the rubbing alcohol doing back and forth and circular motions. Don't put to much pressure though, the screen is right beneath. I'd rather use more alcohol and q-tips than breaking or denting the screen with too much pressure.

7. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I use Goo Gone all the time at work to get rid of stickers that people put on their machines. I first let the GG sit on the residue, depending on how thick it is (I find that it kind of loosens it up) and then wipe it off. I dont try and rub too hard on it. After the residue is gone, I wipe it down again with some alcohol pads, and generally its good to go.