Good 1.5tb drive?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fivepoint, Apr 9, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'm currently using 1 750GB Iomega Ultramax HD to house my iTunes Library. I back it up with a second identical 750GB Iomega Ultramax HD once per week.

Since my 750 is full and then some... I'm looking to RAID those two drives together to create 1 1.5TB drive, and then purchase another 1.5TB drive to use as the primary drive which will be backed up by the former RAID set.

I'm currently in the market for a 1-disk external HD that will fit in my desk drawer. (this is why I can't have a 2-disk model) There's one currently available from Iomega, but I'd like to avoid buying from them again (bad experiences). I saw that WB is coming out with a 1.5 MyBook Studio Edition... but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Can anyone point me to a good alternative? Thanks in advance!

2. rich.smith macrumors member

Seagate has the only readily available 1.5TB drive. There were problems with the firmware for a while, but I believe they have been resolved. I purchased one and have had no problems. There are two versions available. One is multi-interface and targeted at the Mac. The other is USB only. I have the USB version since I planned to attach it to my AEBS. The drive is very quite and plenty fast.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I bought two Seagates within a few weeks of release and the first one failed, presumably because of the firmware issue. It's replacement has been fine, so it seems the issue has been resolved.

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Thanks guys, you're the best! Do you have any idea on the timeline other companies are planning on releasing their versions of the 1.5tb externals? Where might I find such information?

5. dmm219 macrumors 6502

FYI: In my local Costco Flyer, they have a coupon for the 1.5 Seagate for $30 off. If you live near a Costco...check your latest mail flyer...you'll get a pretty good deal on one.

(I plan on getting one as well...)

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

is there more 2TB drives available compared to 1.5TB drives?

and also, can a 1.5TB or 2TB drive go in my mac pro?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is only one 1.5TB drive. It's from Seagate, and it had TERRIBLE issues when it first came out. I had one, applied the firmware "update" and it still was worthless. I wound up sending it back.

There is also only one 2TB drive right now. It has proven to be stable.

Yes, they both work in a Mac Pro.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

WD also has a 1.5 TB drive.

That problem seems to be resolved now.

And expensive. I was surprised to see it came in at US$300. I wonder how long it'll take to get down to the $125-$150 range...

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

sounds like someone needs to do a little spring cleaning :)

if you want to save money.... you could upload your music videos, and photo collection to one seperate hard drive, (i know i have 50GB just of music)

and then backup the rest of the drives to a 1TB drive.

IMO i'd rather buy 2 or 3 1TB drives and find a way, than buying 1-2TB drive

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. even a 2006 mac pro?

11. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

FWIW: I own 6 Seagate 1.5TB drives. I bought them all immediately after the firmware update. They all work flawlessly and they're not too hard to find on sale. I can wholeheartedly recommend them.

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have 4 of them, also from after the firmware update. Bought them from the Dell Fire sale for $83 each.

They've been running in my NAS for the last couple of months without issue.

13. eegger macrumors newbie

Yes, I have 2 in my 2006 Mac pro Quad 2.66 right now. No problems

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, I'm picking one of these up. The coupon starts today should be just over $100.

15. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I have a Maxtor Basics 1.5TB drive. I've just replaced my 1TB one with it and think they're really good value for money.

pac

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No need to be snippy.

In all fairness to rich, the WD drive has only become "readily" available recently. So his statement was correct at the time he made it last week.

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

I guess that did come across wrong. That's not how I intended for it to sound. Apologies to rich.smith.