Good 1TB external Hard drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shacklebolt, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I see the MyBook ones for 299 at Costco, but have read some dicey reviews (namely, they put the old G4 Wind-Tunnels to shame). Anyone have a good suggestion?

2. iCreate macrumors member

I like the G-Technology drives. Everything from USB to eSATA.

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I do like my MyBook, but I have to agree THEY ARE LOUD!

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'm using a 500GB MyBook Pro and i love it...Firewire 800 is a must. My only gripe with the 1TB version is that it's rather clunky, but I don't know if they come smaller.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The Lacie D2's are good, and the 1TB is the same size now as the rest.

jW

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I was looking around and came across the same MyBook for $229...at Best Buy!!

But yeah, it's a shame because everything about it seems and looks perfect but then after reading so many reviews on how loud it is... :(

I wonder if the 750GB MyBook suffers this same fate?

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I second this!

8. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

I just installed a G-Tech GRAID2 1T drive....

Remember... FW800 is faster than USB2... read the articles. FW can sustain 100% speed... and USB cannot

9. Templex macrumors regular

The MyBook in my signature is most definitely not loud. It's one of the quieter drives I've had, in fact. Only problem with it is that the paint on the capacity gauge chipped off the second I laid my fingers on it, been too lazy to get this exchanged/fixed though.

10. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I absolutely agree... the 1TB WD MyBook drives are loud loud loud. Sounds like an airplane gearing up for takeoff... The 500GB drives... not at all... nice and quiet. Strange.

I would, however, like to find a nice and quiet 1TB FireWire drive though.

11. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

You must either have a. an older MyBook, b. one of the raid setups with a fan or c. a defective unit. I have the newest 1tb MyBooks and they are both silent as any other hard drive I have had if not quieter.

Kevin :apple:

12. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

You are corect... i do have the older MyBook (though its only a few months old) and all the reviews on Amazon were all confirming my unit's noise. It is what it is. Reviews are not in for the newer MyBook line and I think we were both hoping we would hear a review such as yours (quieter drives). It's good to hear.

13. ascender macrumors 68000

That's really encouraging to hear about the new 1TB MyBooks. The noise was the one thing stopping me from buying one of these recently as I've got three other MyBooks and they've all been excellent.

On that subject, is there an easy way to tell if the MyBooks are the newer versions before you buy?

14. freewill macrumors newbie

FWIW, you may have already seen this in another thread, but Best Buy has 500GB MyBook Home versions for $135 right now (USB + FW400 + eSata). So if you've got enough physical space, you might consider getting two of those for less than a single 1TB MyBook. I don't own any of these yet so don't know how much noise they generate.

15. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I never really trust a WD 100% but i am starting to look at the in a positive way. I have used lots of hard drives in the last few years and the only ones that gave me problems were WD ones. Two have failed but that was a few years back, now they seem to do a good job.

I run a private gaming LAN were my a few friends come over, i have around 10 gaming PC's and 2 Macs not counting a few gaming laptops laying around. I use a lot of hard drives to backup, transfer and to store data. I used to avoid WD models until recently i gave them another try and they seem to do there job.

I recommend buying a Seagate or the latest hitachi 1TB hard drive and find an enclosure, it will be cheaper and it would be something you made yourself.

16. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I purchased a 1TB Mybook from Costco and had a number of issues. The loudness did not bother me, but FW 400 would not work beyond the first day, and the USB2 interface seemed to cause lockups. It literally took two weeks for the tech support people to email me back.

It get's even more interesting. The drive would not warranty register on their site in the proper way, so that when I wanted to get another copy of their software the site would not let me. Then a call to India resulted in them asking me to provide proof of purchase all over again just to register the product and that took another ten days.

So I returned it and bought the 1TB Lacie and it has worked great, is quiet and speedy. Course it also costs $ 200 then the above.

17. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

What about networkable drives? I like the option of being able to get onto it when I'm away from my apt...seems that so few drives offer this option. Are there issues w/ this type of connection?

18. Zeeinnm macrumors member

Leie with Time travel?

I looked on E-bay to see what the prices were and this guy said he was sell his because the T1 was not compatable with Leopard Time Travel. Is anyone using it? Sorry, that was supposed to read LeCie.