Good 1tb hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Will G., May 3, 2009.

1. Will G. macrumors member

I'm getting pretty confused about this, so it would be very much appreciated if someone could suggest one or two specific hard drive models.

I've heard that Seagate makes good drives, but I haven't been able to work out the difference between this "Barracuda internal hard drive upgrade kit":

http://freeagent.seagate.com/en-us/hard-drive/3.5-hard-drive.html

...and the "Barracuda 7200.11 Desktop Hard Drives":

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/desktops/barracuda_hard_drives/barracuda_7200.11/

I'm tempted to just order the first one, since they sell it directly through their website, but it would be nice to know what the difference is.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they look practically the same to me, specwise...it seems one may be OEM (no retail packaging/cables) & one is retail? or one is more power efficient?

not sure.

BUT I can recommend a few drives I like:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

The SAMSUNG F1 1TB (the 32MB CACHE)
    WesternDigital 1TB Black
    Western Digital 1TB Green (5400RPM 32MB Cache)

those are great storage drives the first two are great for OS/Boot drive.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

personally dislike seagate, i went WD, they have energy efficient models too, have 7 internal and external WD's never a problem.

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

danger will robinson

dangerous question on a public forum. religion, politics, and hardware. it never ends well.

it's tough for you the OP, as you have no idea the skill and/or experience level of us the REPLYS. i love "x" because i have had 2 of them with no problems... i Hate 'x" because i've RMA'ed 300 and counting. just saying.

get something cheap/on-sale from a big name (newegg, cdw, owc, etc) with the best warranty available, and forget about it. they all are drives, they all go round-and-round, they all fail. support is what matters. best of luck.

5. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Yep. For every Seagate failure reporting poster there's a Western Digital one too....

Mind you, Maxtor was always, always bad..... (they were bought by Seagate I believe....)

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Couldn't have said it any better than this. But to throw in my 2 cents, hitachi has served me well so far. Bottom line, ALWAYS have a back up in the event of a hard disk failure.

7. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

Forget Seagate, people may challenge me on this but it appears they are and have been having major issues with their firmware lately

I can swear by Western Digital drives, I have multiple Caviar Blacks in 1 TB or less and Green drives in both 2 TB and 1 TB

I would stick with them, if you're looking for a drive you're going to run your system off of I would choose a Caviar Black. If its for storage/media/backup purposes I would go with the Green line

I've also heard great things about the Samsung Spinpoints