Good 2.1 Upgrade Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fteter, Sep 12, 2008.

1. fteter macrumors member

We tend to have quite a few threads over bad iPhone experiences, especially regarding firmware upgrades. I know I struggled myself with previous firmware upgrades (my upgrade to 2.0.1 was so bad I almost chucked the iPhone for a BB Bold)...I've contributed a bit to the din of "this upgrade sucks" buzz in the past. So I thought it might be helpful, especially for those folks still weighing the upgrade to 2.1, to talk about a positive iPhone upgrade experience.

For the record, I'm have an 8GB 2G iPhone and I recently upgraded to iTunes 8 (with no problems whatsoever).

My upgrade from 2.0.2 to 2.1 went very smoothly. The download took about 6 minutes around noon (PST) on Friday (the 2.1 release day). No server issues whatsoever.

Installation took another 45 minutes, mostly because the pre-install backup took a little over 30 minutes. Maybe your mileage will vary a bit, but that's how long it took me. Looked like the backup stalled out once or twice, but that was not actually the case. My advice is to start the process, then go grab a snack or take a walk...this is a case of "the watched pot never boils". Be patient.

I've only been on 2.1 now for a few hours, but it looks pretty good to me. No instability or bugs that I've noticed yet. All my apps work fine. The undocumented features listed elsewhere on this forum all check out with me (except MobileMe...not using it).

The upgrade experience to 2.1 was pretty good for me...this is the way upgrades are supposed to work. IMHO, Apple got this one right. So if you're thinking about upgrading, but you're worried about server messes, instability or bugs, I'd suggest you give it a go. My experience has been pretty good so far.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

2. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Indeed. Glad to see at least one other person isn't all negative. I'm having no issues with 2.1, and am thrilled to see the keyboard lag finally gone. =)

3. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I had no issues with the upgrade and it was pretty quick too.

Of course, I keep my apps to a 10 app maximum as far as ones from the app store so that may be why.

4. techguy1 macrumors regular

Impressed with the upgrade so far.
    Initial installation took quite a while, mainly because iTunes took over an hour to backup the iPhone and no way to stop it during the upgrade.

Backup after the upgrade took less than 1 minute .. now that IS a BIG improvement. Particularly when I have over 40 apps installed.

Only problem I have now is Genius on iPhone keeps telling me that "Genius playlists are not enabled. Use iTunes to enable Genius playlists." .. Playlists are enabled in iTunes !?

5. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I have upgraded two 1st Gen iPhones. No problems what-so-ever. Total time per phone was about 5 minutes. Fast download to my MacBook Pro, fast backup and fast update. All apps still work, all advertised functions work as promised.

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

7. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Go to itunes, Go to library, on the right bar, hit Enable Genius

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Mine was pleasant after I said "**** it!" after an impatient partial backup of 2.0.2 and restored back to a blank 2.0.2, quickpwned it, and then upgraded to 2.1 to have the unlock. Then it went smooth as could be.

9. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

My experience upgrading to 2.1 has been all good so far. Tomorrow I'll be able to give it good work out though.