Good 21+" LCD for design/photography

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by appledog, Sep 19, 2007.

1. appledog macrumors newbie

As I wait for Apple to get around to updating the mac pro (that's another thread), I also plan to purchase a new LCD monitor. I'm a graphic designer who is getting more into photography/retouching.

I'm probably going to steer clear of Apple monitors because I've always be weary of the weak warranty, and many on here warn of a flaw that many Apple monitors seem to have (can't remember specifics, but read about it in a thread a few months back). Not going top of line (no Eizo) either.

currently using 2 monitors, the main being a Samsung SyncMaster. Looking to buy at least 21", max 24". Thinking maybe Samsung or NEC,but i'm open.

Any suggestions? Any experience with the NEC SpectraView?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can get good density (20 inch, 1680x1050) Samsung monitors for a low price but you'll probably have to calibrate them often to make certain the colours match. They've got a 24 inch 1920x1200 out and I'd expect that it's better quality because of the thickness of the package but I wouldn't bet on it being any better with colours, thought the contrast is better.

How much will it cost you if your work isn't accurate, the price of an Apple or Eizo monitor?

3. appledog thread starter macrumors newbie

Is an Apple monitor better/more accurate than a Samsung or NEC?

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

www.eizo.com

5 years warranty rules!:)

And the 21"/24" widescreens are not that much more expensive than the acds.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yes, they are SWOP-certified.

6. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

Samsung and NEC make fine products, but I don't know if I'd ever consider using them for graphics or photo editing. If I remember correctly, NEC is quite popular with gamers for their speedy refresh rates.

Anyway, the displays you want to consider for graphics and photo work are the Planar PX series and, as chaosbunny already pointed out, anything from Eizo. Apple makes fine displays, but for what they're charging you may as well just get an Eizo. Honestly, I've never understood why anyone buys them other than for the look, but I digress.

Since you don't want to splurge on something top-of-the-line, the other pro graphics option (in my mind) is the Planar PX line. Planar makes displays for business, pro graphics, medical, and industrial applications; and PX is their highest-quality graphics line. Some options are:

A 22" at $285
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016083

Or (recommended if you have the cash) a higher-resolution 24" at $569
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016092