Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Recommendations for good 3D modeling programs needed. I've tried
Blender but didn't really get into it. Commerical/opensource etc...cheers!

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I personally prefer Cinema 4D as an allrounder. But if it's pure modeling you want, have a look at Form Z.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Another vote for Cinema 4D, its easy and fun. The only wierd thing is it doesnt use the dynamic menubar.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I also like Cinema4D. It's very powerful, has excellent render quality and good render speed, and a very flexible nondestructive interface that leads to efficient workflow. It does not, however, have NURBS modeleing, which I still prefer for product design applications. formZ is powerful but has one of the worst interfaces I've ever used, and I won't use it for that reason alone. You might like it if you use AutoCAD though.

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
Lightwave. By far the best program out there, imho. The rendering is about as good as it gets. Downsides: It's expensive, and has one heck of a learning curve — but then again, most 3D programs do. s.n.goat

betty02

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2005
Blackpool - UK
well i used to be a graphics deisgner, and i used Photoshop 7, Photoshop CS, and then i satrting in 3D, i highley suggest that you get Cinema 3D, its got to be the best app out there for this kind of stuff, im speaking frome xpirience ;)

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
never used any myself but a mate of mine produces amazing results with lightwave and the swift 3d plugin...well worth the cash imo

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Lightwave has a separate app just for modeling and its probably one of the best out there. Once you're finished modeling, you send it or load it to the Lightwave app (used for animation and rendering).

FormZ is way too much of a pain to learn. I've used it and I always find it easier to do things in Lightwave.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.