Good additions when buying a iMac 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chrisfromalbany, Jul 29, 2015.

1. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

Any small things you should buy when getting a new iMac 5K? Besides like re-chargeable batteries for the keyboard and mouse or extra 16 gig memory for it.

2. ImBuz macrumors regular

ImBuz

3. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I big bottle of Vodka so that you can survive until El Capitan finally arrives and hopefully solves all the crap bugs that comes with Yosemite

4. jerwin macrumors 65816

A DVD drive, if you haven't yet ripped your entire music collection or have older software.

Rechargeable batteries and a charger-- though I've heard that some varieties are better at sating your mouse's voracious appetite.

A external disk for time machine backups.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

6. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

When I had an iMac I like the "backpack" accessory to store an external drive behind the machine.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That would be a great addition.

8. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Zip ties work well too.

9. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

I realize this thread is a necro and at the time i don't think the new rechargeable bluetooth keyboard was out.

I have the old set of peripherals and I bought a new old style magic mouse when I saw the magic mouse 2. I hate the idea of the mouse being unusable while charging.

The new trackpad is amazing looking though. I get mine on Monday along with my new iMac and I can't wait. The keyboard seems like it will be ok. I wish it had a backlight but no biggie.

In regards to your post I use rechargeable batteries. I got about 24 of these batteries from Costco and two rechargers. Amazons deal isn't bad either but it looks like you have to buy the charger separate. Keeping enough charged on hand to be able to swap out the batteries on the original trackpad, mouse and keyboard at once and charge all of the low power batteries at once and put them into the rotation.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, they came out in October, and this thread dates back to July.

11. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

Is this the backpack you were referring to? That looks like a really cool idea.

12. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I have the Logitech K811 Keyboard that I plan on using with the new iMac... I plan on selling the keyboard that comes with it.

I like the fact that K811 has backlit keys and the fast switching Bluetooth works well when using my iPP. I'm just trying to debate how much RAM I plan on installing... And I also plan on picking up a thunderbolt hard drive.

13. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to check that keyboard out. :D

14. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Considering this is a resurrected thread, for anyone pondering the same question as the OP, regardless of which desktop you're considering, if you value your Data, your very first thought should be an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) available on Amazon or eBay, or from companies such as APC, Tripp-Lite or CyberPower to name a few. I've seen brand-new ones as low as 50 bucks, if you're on a tight budget. The more expensive units, besides getting considerably heavier, will give you longer run times, true sine wave output (important for sensitive electronics), auto-shutdown software, as well as generally more power management options.

Keep in mind however even a lowly inexpensive smaller unit is better than having no protection at all.

15. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I have been using my CyberPower for some years now, not only has it help me with sudden power outages. It has help me when I have to suddenly unplug my computer because of lightning storm (I don't have my computers plug in during a storm) and with power fluctuations (an you would be surprised how many one has during a giving year;))