Good Affordable Hi-Speed Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by frezkee, Jun 1, 2011.

1. frezkee macrumors newbie

I am a university student that used to survive with no wireless connectivity but with my growing number of wireless devices, it seems I am now in need of one.

Connection Speeds:
    ~T3:
    25-60MB/s down
    50-75MB/s up

Number of people for router: 1

Main Devices to be used:
    iPad 2, iPod Touch, Macbook Pro, PS3

Can anyone recommend and affordable but reliable wireless router for my needs as I am entirely foreign to routers.

Thank you for any help! :)

2. blevins321, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have THIS one myself. I would actually advise against going with the "upgraded" one that Amazon is offering. The upgrade only has 10/100 ports, while the older version ironically has 10/100/1000. The range is great for an apartment. My iPhone connects at the traffic light outside of my complex. It handles high volumes of traffic internally just fine; especially to/from my NAS.

My internet connection is nothing compared to yours, but since it's a gigabit-capable router, you won't have any problems with it. Most of my traffic is internal file transfers (in the terabyte range).

Between my Mac Mini and iMac, it averages speeds approaching 75Mbps read and ~60 write, but that could be hard drive limitations.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110