Good all in one wireless printer/scanner that'll place nice with OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Meever, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

I'm in the market for a good all in one printer/scanner that'll play nice with OSX. Compatibility with my MBP and iPad are very important. Good overall performance and high quality picture printing are top priority as well.

Thanks for any recommendations you guys might have.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

3. emaja macrumors 68000

I have always had better luck with HP than with Epson. I currently have an HP C6380 and think it is great. It is not made anymore, but I would buy HP again in a heartbeat.

Of their current AIO's, I like the C319a. Wireless and web printing as well as two-sided printing are some nice features and it is less than $200

4. bluesteel macrumors 6502

Canon Pixma MX870. its the highest consumer-rated printer i could find while doing research for my own purchase. i bought one from Amazon a month ago after dealing with HP junk for 15 years. its by far the best printer, all around, i have ever owned. i'm extremely satisfied with it.

5. joudbren macrumors regular

Lexmark Pro905 can go on your list of units to check out. Fax, Scan, Copy, Print, scan to pdf, email directly from unit, dual paper trays, and you can download productivity apps from Lexmark right into the printer. 5 year warranty, wireless N built in so it doesn't slow down your wireless network and the lowest cost per copy for black inkjet printing. The black cartridge is huge and I think I paid $5 or $6 bucks for an original black. (they advertise this unit as having the lowest black cost per copy of any inkjet) Colour ink prices are more in line with other manufacturers though but they are at least separate inks. The document feeder can be a little fussy though if the paper is wrinkled or has bent corners.

It has full driver support for OSX included on the CD (and website) and Lexprint for iPhone and iPad are available for free at the app store. I'm also waiting to see what AirPrint from Apple brings this month and how it will be supported by Lexmark. The Pro905 has a drop dead easy to use full colour touch screen interface as well and an included front USB port and memory card slot. This is definitely a business class product. Cheers!

P.S. Sorry, not sure on the picture quality as I have a high end Canon wide carriage inkjet for my photo work. I think most inkjets these days though are probably pretty good in that regard with the right paper and settings. It also has a replaceable printhead same as Canon so a clogged or worn printhead can actually be replaced. I've thrown out my last Epson printer.... never again.

James

6. jbrettz macrumors member

I second the Canon MX 870. I just purchased one for my wife's office at home and it works great. It's wireless was easy to set up and my imac and macbook can print with no problems. I have always been HP printers but the last two have been Canon's and have had no problems.

Macworld previoulsy reated the MX 850 as the best all around all in one inkjet. The MX 870 is the next generation of the 850.

brett

7. lutsey macrumors newbie

having trouble with the Canon mx870

Do I have to use a router or can you use the airport in my macbook? The printer cannot find my computer. Any help would be appreciated!

Matt

8. bluesteel macrumors 6502

is your printer connected to your home network via ethernet cable, or did you setup the printer to connect to your network via wi-fi?

do you have the latest Canon driver for OS X installed?

did you successfully add the Canon printer in "system preferences/print & fax?

you can initiate printing from your macbook wirelessly for sure. i do it all day long.

9. lutsey macrumors newbie

my goal was to have it connect wirelessly to my mac through the airport in my my macbook pro. Is that even possible? I have now learned through mac that this is not probable.

I have installed no extra drivers.

My Macbook doesn't acknowledge the canon's existence as of now.

This will be in a location that doesn't have dedicated high speed. Can I not use my macbook to create the wifi network I need to print wirelessly? Do Need to buy an express?

Thanks for responding

Matt

10. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

You should wait and see what all the MacOS and iOS updates bring. Especially with the iPad printing. You may find only certain printers work on the iPad print side of things.

11. bluesteel, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

bluesteel macrumors 6502

hey there.

it might be possible for other mac computers to print through your mac if your mac is connected to the printer via USB, and you have "printer sharing" activated on your mac. maybe someone else can confirm if this works or not. i'm pretty sure the computer needs to be connected to an actual high speed (broadband) internet network, though.

if i'm wrong about the "printer sharing" thing, than without a high speed internet connection available, the only way to print will be if you connect your computer to the printer via USB cable.

you should install the Canon MX870 driver on the mac as well. i'm not 100% sure if its included automatically in the OS X installation, and updated via OS X software update. just in case, you can download the driver at Canon's website.

so, if the "printer sharing" thing isn't possible, than in order to print from your macbook to the printer wirelessly, your printer and macbook need to be connected to a high speed internet network. the printer could be connected to the wireless router wirelessly or via ethernet cable hardwire. you can't just make a wireless network from a computer without a high speed network already there. if your computer was connected to a high speed network, however, you can definitely share your computer's internet connection and printer with other computers on the same network via OS X sharing preferences (internet sharing & printer sharing).

first you need a high speed internet connection. no need to buy any wireless router until you have a high speed internet connection. when you have a high speed internet connection, then you can connect a wireless router to the modem your high speed internet provider gives you. then you create a wireless network through the wireless routers preferences and setup, then you connect your printer to that network via the printer's wireless network setup, and then connect your computer to the network, then add the printer to your os x printer preferences, then you can print wirelessly via that printer from your computer.

12. jbrettz macrumors member

I do not have my canon mx870 hooked up to my time capsule. I just used canon's network setup on the printer to connect to my wireless network. I can print anywhere in my house with my macbook. Yes it can be done.

13. joudbren, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

joudbren macrumors regular

What you sound like you want Matt is "Ad Hoc" mode which is a direct connection between wireless devices that is not using an access point. I'm not sure if your Canon supports this or not and you'll have to check with Canon. My Lexmark Pro905 apparently does support this and here is what is in their manual.... (just in case the instructions may be of use to you with the Canon)

Creating an ad hoc wireless network (from Lexmark manual)

The recommended way to set up your wireless network is to use a wireless access point (wireless router).
    A network set up this way is called an infrastructure network.
    If you have an infrastructure network, you should configure the printer for use on that network.
    Note: The printer can communicate on only one wireless network at a time.
    Configuring the printer for an ad hoc wireless network will keep it from working on any other wireless network, either ad hoc or infrastructure.
    You can set up an ad hoc network if you: • Do not have an access point or wireless router • Do not already have a wireless network (but do have a wireless adapter for your computer) • Want to set up a standalone network between the printer and a computer with a wireless network adapter

For Macintosh users

1 Access the Airport settings:

In Mac OS X version 10.5

a From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    b Click Network.
    c Click AirPort.

In Mac OS X version 10.4 and earlier

a From the Finder desktop, choose Go > Applications.
    b From the Applications folder, double-click Internet Connect.
    c From the toolbar, click AirPort.

2 From the Network menu, click Create Network.

3 Create a name for the ad hoc network, and then click OK.

Note: Store the network name and password in a safe place for future reference.

Adding a printer to an existing ad hoc wireless network

Note: The printer can communicate on only one wireless network at a time.
    Configuring the printer for an ad hoc wireless network will remove it from any other wireless network, either ad hoc or infrastructure, for which it is configured.

For Macintosh users (sorry, this part may be Lexmark specific.... just realized. Canon may have a similar utility though or you may be able to configure the printer manually once you've setup the Ad Hoc network on the Mac)

1 From the Finder desktop, double-click the printer folder.
    2 Double-click Wireless Setup Assistant.
    3 Follow the instructions on the computer screen.

Another solution may be an Airport Express connected to the printer. Does anyone else know if the Airport Express will work in this situation? I'm thinking it might...

I know also that the Lexmark supports the use of a wireless bluetooth dongle plugged into the front USB port on the printer. Might be worth checking that on the Canon as well but Bluetooth will give you only about 20 to 30 feet of range.

Good Luck!

James

14. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I just bought one today and cannot use the scan function from my MBP. The printer is set-up and working and I can print documents, Aperture photos, from my iPhone, etc. When I try to scan documents using the MP Navigator EX 3.1 app, it gives me a message saying it cannot connect to the printer/scanner. Has anyone had this issue and if so how did they fix it.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and from Apple and it still did not work.

Thanks

15. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i've been using OS X Image Capture, its worked great for scanning to my macbook pro. haven't tried Canon's scanning software yet. did you visit the Canon website to see if there is a new scanner driver? you might want to try and email or call Canon support to inquire.

16. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Well, I got the scanning to work from the MBP Image Capture and the Canon software. Unfortunately, it takes forever to scan a one page document (like 10 minutes). Not sure what causing THIS problem.

Also, how do you set Image Capture to scan into a PDF and not a JPEG file? Is there a way?

17. bluesteel macrumors 6502

did your scan take 10 minutes from Image Capture? if so, look at the resolution that is set for the scan. its on the right hand side of the application pane. the larger the resolution, the longer the scan takes. i scanned about 75 photographs at 600 dpi, over kill, but each scan was super fast. for a plain old one page copy, you really only need to scan at 75-150 dpi. that should take in the seconds with Image Capture.

you can easily set image capture to scan to a PDF by selecting PDF in the drop down menu, also on the right hand side of the application pane. all your basic settings are right there on the right.