Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosiejones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Personally, I find iPad Air a perfect tablet for its specifications, processing power and screen but, in terms of pricing I don't find it suitable for my next purchase. I'm looking for an alternative of iPad Air under $250, please do not recommend Nexus7.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm looking for an alternative of iPad Air under $250, please do not recommend Nexus7.
Tie our hands, will you?

There are not a lot of sub-$250 tablets I'd recommend aside from the Nexus 7.

The Kindle HDX is very nice - I've used it - but you are deeply rooted in the Amazon ecosystem. If you're cool with that, it's a nice device.

The Nook HD+ is $179 for a 32GB 9" device with full Play Store access. It doesn't have a camera, but it has a micro SD slot. I have one (the 16GB version, which cost me $149). I think it's the best tablet money can buy in that size and for under $250.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Personally, I find iPad Air a perfect tablet for its specifications, processing power and screen but, in terms of pricing I don't find it suitable for my next purchase. I'm looking for an alternative of iPad Air under $250, please do not recommend Nexus7.

There's a reason why you haven't had luck finding a comparable alternative for under $250. Here aren't any.

Your only option would be to pick up a used older generation device but you'll obviously have to make compromises in specs.

Looks like 16GB 3rd gen iPads are going for roughly $275-300 on eBay.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011

Nexus 7 is pretty much it. Best alternative to that size tablet would be a Nexus 10. But that'll run you about $400 new if I'm correct.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
A good alternative for under 250 dollars isn't going to happen. You can have a mediocre alternative though. I think refurbished iPad minis are 250 dollars. They're decent if you don't mind the low pixel density. You'll get used to it. It might even come with iOS 6 if iOS 7 isn't your thing. I wouldn't even bother with cheap android tablets other than the N7. They'll probably be lagging up a storm with their ****** specs and outdated OS.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I was actually serious with my recommendation of the Nook HD+. It's can be had for $149 (16GB), it has a micro SD slot so you can add up to 64GB at a time, it works pretty well, and it can dual-booted (add Android 4.x to an SD card and boot, remove the SD card to boot into the default OS).

It's not state of the art, granted. But... it's 9", has a very high-res screen, handles media very nicely, works great as a browser/e-reader, and can handle most apps.

Is it perfect? Hell no. But it is $149. That's just an insanely low price for what it does. You're just not going to find something over 7" in that price range or, really, for pretty much twice that.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There is NO alternative to iPad Air. Go Apple or go home.

I guess that means regardless of price too. Oh well.

I hate samsung tablets personally versus their smartphones and I rather not go with a Win 8 tablet either. The Kindle hdx tablets look interesting for the price if one is into amazon's ecosystem.

An alternate to the Air at $250 though? I could only dream, I have tried my share of android tablets at even higher prices.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
If you're looking for a full-size tablet, you're going to have to pay the price. You won't find something for under $250 that equals what you like in the Air.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Good luck.. Maybe you can pick one up in a couple years after the price has dropped. But you won't be finding something similar anytime soon. At least not at that price.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Save your money until you CAN buy an iPad Air. I'm not trying to be a smartass but you know that the iPad Air is the perfect tablet for its specs, why settle for anything less? You will be happier if you wait and save.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The nexus 7 is the only thing in that price range. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up though. Its an excellent tablet. Posted this from a nexus 7.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

People seem to be missing this part of your post.

If you find the iPad Air perfect in those regards, you likely won't find anything comparable.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
People seem to be missing this part of your post.

If you find the iPad Air perfect in those regards, you likely won't find anything comparable.

Well other than size the nexus 7 pretty much fits the bill. The screen looks just as good if not better than the ipad Air screen. Its just smaller but at that price range thats a given.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Well other than size the nexus 7 pretty much fits the bill. The screen looks just as good if not better than the ipad Air screen. Its just smaller but at that price range thats a given.

Yes, it does fit in his budget. However, he clearly said he wanted a tablet with a screen size similar to the iPad Air. He even more clearly said he is not interested in the Nexus 7.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'll go with note 10.1. The s-pen really opens a lot of uses that none of the ipads can match.

Also it is better for seeing videos as it is much much less hassle to load and play any type of media files in the device.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
I was actually serious with my recommendation of the Nook HD+. It's can be had for $149 (16GB), it has a micro SD slot so you can add up to 64GB at a time, it works pretty well, and it can dual-booted (add Android 4.x to an SD card and boot, remove the SD card to boot into the default OS).

It's not state of the art, granted. But... it's 9", has a very high-res screen, handles media very nicely, works great as a browser/e-reader, and can handle most apps.

Is it perfect? Hell no. But it is $149. That's just an insanely low price for what it does. You're just not going to find something over 7" in that price range or, really, for pretty much twice that.

I'll throw another one in for Nook HD+. I am writing this post on one... It was cheap and I run CM10.2 (its officially supported). It is NOT as smooth as iPad Air... But you can buy three for the price of an Air... What do you expect??

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Stop being a cheapskate and cough up the money for an iPad Air. There is no alternative at that price point you're looking at. You get what you pay for and in the end the Air is worth every bit you put into it. The app store is unrivaled by any other OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.